Post your indoor wood storage.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TomMcDonald

Feeling the Heat
Nov 18, 2022
Australia
Hi all,

I'm after some inspiration for indoor wood storage ideas.
I built this box from old fence palings a while ago but the wife is agitating for a more classy alternative.
Please post your indoor wood storage!
Thanks.

20230605_130310.jpg

Black pipe vertical storage. The plan is to stain the base and install rollers. Roll it to the front door and load it from my deck pile. Or roll it to my basement steps and load it from my basement storage. Roll it back into place and be done. Holds 8 armloads of my splits. I’ll have one on each side of the stove when finished. My photo is a bit misleading as the assembly is not shorter on one side? Optical illusion. Not sure it’s any classier! Just food for thought.

E13B01AF-DCA5-42ED-8EA2-345F7A4A3FF6.jpeg

Last edited:
Black pipe vertical storage. The plan is to stain the base and install rollers. Roll it to the front door and load it from my deck pile. Or roll it to my basement steps and load it from my basement storage. Roll it back into place and be done. Holds 8 armloads of my splits. I’ll have one on each side of the stove when finished. My photo is a bit misleading as the assembly is not shorter on one side? Optical illusion. Not sure it’s any classier! Just food for thought.

View attachment 313125
That looks good. I am considering using that pipe but she's not convinced.
I like your bricks. Is that a premade cladding like a stacker stone?

I use a Rubbermaid tub. All dirt, splitterwaste, and insects are kept in 1 spot until I flip it in its side and scoop it into the stove.

I never saw any good reason to store wood indoors. Been there, tried it, but bugs or moths too frequently accompany it.

The only time I bring wood in is before a snow storm I will leave a load or two on the hearth so I don't have to shovel the 10 feet to my wood first thing in the morning.

Reactions: Ashful
I never saw any good reason to store wood indoors. Been there, tried it, but bugs or moths too frequently accompany it.
Likewise. Our daily firewood is stored outside on the porch, about seven steps away from the stove. I built a large box that holds 4-7 days worth.

Reactions: cahaak and Ashful
That looks good. I am considering using that pipe but she's not convinced.
I like your bricks. Is that a premade cladding like a stacker stone?
This is manufactured or cultured stone. A gadzooks number of individual pieces to apply to the wall. One at a time.

Not a sheet of stone veneer.

We don't store wood inside. Too many bugs in the wood especially stink bugs and I hate those things. The only time i keep wood in the house is if we may have snow, ice or if it is going to be very cold. We use a big tote with lid to contain the mess and bugs. We are in NC so it doesn't happen often.

i bring enough for a few days.
this console had doors on it that just hid a buncha crap.
so decided to clean it out, tear off the doors and stow firewood.

View attachment 313146
Nice solution. It looks pretty tidy.
You probably know this, but the hearth needs to be 16" deep on the side-door side, especially if there is an engineered floor alongside.

Reactions: JamesGuido
I use a Rubbermaid tub. All dirt, splitterwaste, and insects are kept in 1 spot until I flip it in its side and scoop it into the stove.
I do the same,have 2 ,one for kindling and the other for splits.

...the hearth needs to be 16" deep on the side-door side, especially if there is an engineered floor alongside.
yup, i'm two inches short.
the installers hadn't an issue with that.
and as long as my insurance provider doesn't either, it's fine by me.
IMG_6035.jpeg

I must say having wood stored inside can look really good and be very convenient. For me, no wood inside until it goes in the stove. Generally just too many bugs in the wood. My winter firewood rack is on the front porch and about 20 feet away for easy access.

Inside I use a Rubbermaid tub, outside, and under roof, I keep an old fire ring, stood on its side, and filled with wood. Its easy access and its dry. Plus, I have an old closet that we dont use. Its full of smaller wood. I dont worry about bugs much, and if I see any, I just kill em or take them outside.

Reactions: TomMcDonald
2-in-1 Firewood Carrier, Canvas Log Carrier for Firewood, Firewood Tote Carrier, Canvas Wood Carrier for Firewood, Log Carrying Bag Firewood Holder, Firewood Carriers with Handles, Log Carrier Tote https://a.co/d/9ocoHPB

I’m going with one of these this year. I keep a face cord out on my porch so just fill the tote up when it’s time for reload.

Reactions: fvhowler
2-in-1 Firewood Carrier, Canvas Log Carrier for Firewood, Firewood Tote Carrier, Canvas Wood Carrier for Firewood, Log Carrying Bag Firewood Holder, Firewood Carriers with Handles, Log Carrier Tote https://a.co/d/9ocoHPB

I’m going with one of these this year. I keep a face cord out on my porch so just fill the tote up when it’s time for reload.

I've been using something similar for years, works great!

Reactions: Todd
Built in wood storage also has an access panel to behind the stone in case needed. I find a little peppermint sprayed on the wood does a nice job of keeping bugs out. I fill the storage area up in the winter when bugs are minimal for the longer term storage over the summer. We like the way the wood looks so keep it filled year round.

IMG_2384.jpeg

plop them on the floor and throw them in.making a steel rack to yhe ceiling this summer out of metal attached to ceiling.should hold enough for 3 to 4 burns,maybe 5