Pot belly camper installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

firewaterfarm

Jun 29, 2014
RI
Hi everyone!
I am planning on installing a small vintage sears pot belly in my travel trailer. I'm wondering if anyone has any tips, especially money saving ones. I understand the general requirements for wood stove installs but most of what I've seen or read are for home installs.
My main questions are:

1. My roof is flat and aluminum. Should I stick with the 3' pipe rule coming up from the roof? And also since my roof isn't very thick could I use a wall thimble or a support box. This is where I am most confused... What to use in the pipe hole?

2. Since it is a relatively small (17' wide x 27" tall) stove could I use a reducer from 6" to 4" pipe? Even though this isn't generally recommended.

Attachments

• stove.jpg
    stove.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 875
Well to start you have a coal stove not a wood stove. It will burn wood but it will do it very fast and very hot. It is not uncommon to see those stoves glowing. This will be lots of heat for a camper. The bigest concern for your install will be clearances to combustibles for that stove you need 36" in all directions around the stove. And no you cant reduce to 4".

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am aware that it is a coal stove. The camper is 40 feet long. I imagine if I light small fires it will be fine? I intend to protect the walls to reduce clearances. Any recommendations as to what kind of fittings to use where it exits the roof?

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am aware that it is a coal stove. The camper is 40 feet long. I imagine if I light small fires it will be fine? I intend to protect the walls to reduce clearances. Any recommendations as to what kind of fittings to use where it exits the roof?
You need to use a standard class a support box. And your wall protection needs to be a proper ventilated nfpa wall sheild.

Ok thanks. I’ve never done this before so appreciate the help.
The stove is also going to need allot of hearth protection as well and it will need to be bolted down. I really think a small moderm stove approved for mobile home use would be a better fit.

Thanks, The camper isn't ever going to be moved so not sure I need to bolt it. I will put down a hearth of course but I did fire it up outside for a couple of hours and the board I had it set on was barely warm. I would like to use this stove as I think it is a good size, it was my grandmother's and I've been toting it around for 30 years. It's also very cool looking. I figure if it worked back then, with some thought it should work perfectly fine now as a source of supplemental heat. I'm not going to be living in the camper nor do I intend it to be for 4 season use, just something to get the chill out of the air on occasion.