Potential to buy Fisher

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yinpin

Burning Hunk
Jul 25, 2016
Kingsville, MD
Hey everyone,

I was originally looking at an insert for my basement however the one that I found locally may not fit. It is very close but I need better measurements.

After reading on here for a while I may be interested in a stove and found this Fisher locally. It looks like a pre-80's model and in decent shape. I am trying to figure out the dimension so this one and waiting for the reply from the seller. Any info, and things to be aware of would be appreciated.

I have seen some of these Fisher style stoves inserted slightly into a fireplace for use. Although that is not the most efficient method for heating, it would likely be an improvement over an insert....correct?

I am learning as I find things locally for sale and this would be for my basement fireplace and used as a secondary heat source (heat pump) only.

B557E258-14D4-431A-88D4-86A6B86E2198_zps1gj1nogz.jpg
FB3C5E67-9285-4C59-9BB1-817BE89E09E3_zpscalkqrlr.jpg
55A1D961-40E9-4444-88BC-F27C5FD7BF6E_zpscjmakldv.jpg

Last edited:
coaly is the Fisher guru and there is a lot of information already posted ... start reading!

You are correct, it is a pre 1980 stove.
Grandpa Bear heats approx. 2000 sf, 29 1/2 wide across top plate, 30 1/2 deep with ash fender.
Height can vary due to fabricator and leg length. Door opening 21" wide X 11 high; 454 lbs.

A free standing stove is designed to radiate in all directions. Setting them in an alcove or fireplace does not allow good air flow and can create uneven heating with higher than normal surface temperatures. This can lead to warpage or stress cracks....... An insert is a firebox within a second outer box that uses a blower or blowers to extract the convection heat from the air space created around firebox. This blows the heat into the building becoming a convection space heater instead of radiating rearward and upward into the mass of the masonry hearth.

First, you need a stove that matches the CHIMNEY FLUE size. The stove outlet should be the same size as the flue all the way up. If you have an insulated metal 8 inch chimney, an 8 inch stove such as this is fine. If you have a masonry uninsulated flue, you need to install a liner preferably insulated which usually reduces the size down to 6 inch inside. Now you are into a 6 inch stove which is more efficient and deep and narrow (single door Bear Series) that also gives better circulation around box if installed into hearth. (still not advisable) This stove was designed to be able to view the fire with screen in place so you can still have the ambiance of a fireplace. They are not considered a radiant heater in Fireplace Mode. If fire viewing is not a priority, stick with a single door stove. The best scenario is a side vent Papa ACROSS the hearth to prevent it from sticking into the room with a block off plate behind it with a 6 inch insulated flue. Depending on square footage and insulation this is capable of heating most homes from the basement.
Depending n your local codes, the stove pictured is not UL listed which I'm sure is a requirement for your area. That would be a stove after 1980 with a UL label.

Coaly,
I have read many of your posts and I thank you for taking the time to respond to mine! I am definitely learning as I go and maybe I am a bit too excited to find one and for our basement. I am the type of guy that gets something in his head and wants to follow through quickly. To Lake Girl's point, there is so much information available on this site and I have spend that last three days combing through the information. I think I am on page 12 of Fisher Stove Information, Parts & More but years worth of information will take some time!!!

Since I am looking through CL for used inserts and stoves, I am trying to understand the stove/insert requirements so that I can determine if it is a viable option for my set up. There are so many variables. I fully plan to install a 6" insulated flue liner in the fireplace and directly connect it to the appliance. I was not aware of the UL requirements and that will be my next stage I guess. I was going to look at an insert (have a post about that too) today but I am thinking I should pass at this time.

Thank you all again.

Status
Not open for further replies.