Poulan Pro 330 adjustment question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monkey Wrench

Feeling the Heat
Nov 16, 2009
On The Farm
Have a 2001 Poulan Pro 54cc/3.3cid w/ 22" bar.
Use only to drop larger trees.
Pulled it out for some exercise, and it only wants to run with the choke pulled out 1/4. Fuel is new. Ran fine last Sept when it was last used.

I have 2 adj. screws. Idle screw. And wot screw.
Which one to adj. and which way?
Thanks

Is the run problem just at idle, or does the saw not want to rev? Cold, or did you also let it warm? I would think about this, while checking out the chainsaw adj. instructions at Madsens. The other thing is it might not be an adjustment issue as much as it is a dirty carb problem. Might be worth trying to run some Sea Foam through it in the gas, and maybe a good shot down the carb with the saw running... Also pull the muffler, and make sure that you haven't had any critters like dirt daubers taking up residence inside and clogging things up...

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
Is the run problem just at idle, or does the saw not want to rev? Cold, or did you also let it warm? I would think about this, while checking out the chainsaw adj. instructions at Madsens. The other thing is it might not be an adjustment issue as much as it is a dirty carb problem. Might be worth trying to run some Sea Foam through it in the gas, and maybe a good shot down the carb with the saw running... Also pull the muffler, and make sure that you haven't had any critters like dirt daubers taking up residence inside and clogging things up...

Gooserider

Gooserider,
I let it warm up. With the choke at 1/4 it ran like it use to with choke off? Take the choke off it just bogged down when throttled, then die. Pulled muffler, not that. I will be heading out in the A.M. for some Sea Foam.

One last question. This is a 2001 unit. Could this 10% ethenal added to the fuel be the culprit.

Thanks.

Monkey Wrench said:
Gooserider said:

Gooserider

Gooserider,
I let it warm up. With the choke at 1/4 it ran like it use to with choke off? Take the choke off it just bogged down when throttled, then die. Pulled muffler, not that. I will be heading out in the A.M. for some Sea Foam.

One last question. This is a 2001 unit. Could this 10% ethenal added to the fuel be the culprit.

Thanks.

I presume you also checked the air filter (should have mentioned that as well earlier) Also check the fuel filter as another thing that can get clogged up. If the saw has a primer bulb, see if pushing it seems to pump a fair bit of gas - if not that suggests a fuel filter issue.

If the saw ran OK last Sept, and you are running fresh mix now, I doubt it would be an ethanol problem... However it does seem reasonable that you might have a partially clogged jet. If the Sea Foam doesn't improve the way it runs, I'd try doing the Madsen's tuning instructions, which seem pretty good, especially with their sound files to show what to listen for. If you do adjust the saw, keep an eye on the way it's tuned as the jets may clean themselves up after a while w/ fresh gas dissolving out some of the crud. Last resort is to do a carb rebuild and check of the lines.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.