pour in insulation question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zanp

Dec 4, 2007
Asheville NC
If you use the pour-in type insulation for a flex pipe install, does that essentially lock the pipe in place or can you still move it up and down if you need to for installation of new stove or cleaning?

If it's a Thermix type pour in, it's going to be locked in place. Loose fill like vermiculite or perlite might have a bit of play depending on length of the flex. The flex pipe from stove to block off plate might give you enough wiggle room to remove existing stove. I wouldn't remove to clean, just clean into the stove and clean out the stove afterward.

I have read that you need 1 inch of Thermix around a ss liner, how much do I need if I use vermiculite? I found 3.25 ft3 of Thermix for $50 and 4 ft3 of vermiculite for under $25. I'd rather it be loose anyway.

You need to check with the liner mfg to see if they tested their liner with vermiculite insulation. Follow their instructions if they have. If they have not, you should not use it. Seems silly but technically its true. If every used the stuff myself I would tell you the needed thickness, but I have no clue.

Also I always wonder this with pour in crap, how do you know half way down the SS liner is not touching the masonry? I doubt it right down the center straight shot all the way down. Unless you put 1" spacers on the liner its never going to be done right.

Status
Not open for further replies.