Poured liners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fraxinus

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
coastal Maine
I've posted a similar message before in response to another topic, but the many questions about chimney liners prompts me to create this thread. If you find yourself needing to line a masonry chimney, consider a poured liner if the process is available in your area. Unlike a stainless liner a poured one becomes an integral part of the chimney sealing any cracks, replacing missing mortar and greatly strengthening the chimney. Four years ago when I was faced with lining an old unlined 1870 chimney I chose the Supaflu system and was very pleased with the installation and result. The cost for a 60 foot chimney was roughly $1200 - comparable to stainless. The North American headquarters for Supaflu is located in Scarborough, ME. Their website list dealers all over the US and Canada. I have no connection whatever to the Supaflu company except as a very satisfied customer. I'm also aware that there is at least one other poured lining system (can't think of the name) which may be equally good.

Thanks for the info and a reminder. There is another way to bring a chimney back to structural soundness and code.

I have witnessed the process and It really is a viable solution

The house we bought came w/ a poured liner.
Apparently the previous owners found that their clay flue
had cracked, and this was the most effective fix.
We are happy w/ it - chimney drafts like a bandit,
and creosote build-up is very minimal.

That price seems off - 1200 for a 60 foot chimney?

I've always heard that this method is higher than stainless - but it is a great method. To do it right involved breaking out all the flue tiles and cleaning all the mess out first - that way the poured liner can integrate with the structure.

On the down side, if it is a chimney that moves a lot (expansion, etc.), it seems as if this method could crack....

I think some the effectiveness depends on the installer - get a good one, and you could have a 50-100 year job.

The only sixty foot chimney I have ever seen was at a foundry. That would have to be something like a six story house.

Does seem a tad bit long, but I suppose if you started in the basement, went through 3 floors with 10-12' ceilings, a "walk-in" attic and then several feet above a high pitched roof, it might be possible. I wouldn't put it past the installer to just round up to the nearest 10' either.

I think I paid ~$20/ft for my stainless liner - and that was back before metal prices went through the roof, don't know what they run now.

You're correct about the chimney height - it was actually much closer to 40'- cellar through first floor, second floor, attic, 10 feet above roof line. I also forgot to mention that the process comes with a transferrable lifetime warranty. I know such warranties are often worth little, but this one does seem pretty escape-proof. The people who installed my liner said more than half their work was with chimneys containing cracked terracotta liners. They did not mention nor did I ask about the need to clean out the old tiles - if necessary this would no doubt add greatly to the cost because of the additional labor. The product is perfect for old brick chimneys which lack a liner of any kind and exterior chimneys because the poured liner is a much better insulator (500% better according to the company's literature).

Status
Not open for further replies.