Power Consumption

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, Ok this may be a lame question and it's just a question in regards to power consumption. Quadra Fire Classic Bay 1200 if it makes a difference. When unit is powered up and the glow plug (ignitor) is running to get pellets lit for the first time how much wattage is being drawn and approx. cost. This is just for water cooler talk more than anything someone brought it up at work and I figured no better place to find out than on the Hearth Forum.
Please work with me on this one! Thanks!

Most ignitors draw around 400 watts don't they? Mine does I think but it may be in your user manual under specifications. The cost would depend on your price per kilowatt hour for electricity where you live.(a kilowatt hour is 1000 watts running for 1 hour)

i did tests a while back with my Quad Santafe and it was not much, I think during startup i saw 500w when the ignitor was on. You can get a device called a Kill-a-watt that you plug into the wall then plug whatever you want to monitor into it and it will tell you use now or use over time and other useful info.

From the 1200 owners manual:

Start up 4.1amp (4.1amp*110vAC=450watt)
Running 1.1amp (1.1*110vAC=121watts)

Since the ignition is relatively short, you can probably ignore it. So if the fans use 121watts for 24 hours, they will use 2.904kwh of electricity. In my neck of the woods electricity (the juice plus delivery charges and taxes) is around $0.15/kwh. As such the cost to operate the stove (assuming start ups are negligible) is about $0.44/day.

My power consumption actually went down using the pellet stove compared to my 100btu forced air furnace.

I have a Mont Vernon AE, the stove runs as needed all winter, in a cold climate here in Maine. The electric bill went up less then $5.00. I also run it on one level below high.

Southern Maine here...run my Quad Castille 24/7 and my bill went up approx. 10-12 bucks. But is MUCH less than running the furnace with oil and electricity. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.