Power Cord for Chimney Fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mwnitz

Oct 21, 2017
Averill Park, NY
Hi there,

I have a Field Controls Type C fan that I plan on installing on top of my chimney. I've already spent a heating season trying to get my Regency Hearth Heater's smoke to go up an ice cold 6" liner with disappointing results, so I've committed to this fan. I only need it occasionally on cold startup for about 30 seconds. I've tried cracking windows, mapp gas, electric space heaters, heat gun, etc. Sometimes it just takes too much to get the smoke 25' or so up the ice cold chimney. I'm only looking for advice on the power for the fan.

I bought this fan used. I got such a great deal on them that I bought 2 of them, one for a spare. They come with a junction box under the shroud when they are new. The previous owner installed a lead cord into this junction box to plug into an outlet. I like the idea of a plug. This serves as a disconnect for servicing and removal in the future. However I'm a bit concerned about heat affecting this power cord.

Can any of you enlighten me on what most people are using for electrical cables running this these fans? I've seen a different fan use flexible conduit that is supplied with the fan. This fan does not have that setup.

I was thinking of using a SJOOW power cord with silicone covered fiberglass thermal sleeving over it. After some thought I wonder if there is something specific for this application.

I contacted the manufacturer. They said "Any high temperature wire". That was not specific enough for me.

Here is the fan: http://www.fieldcontrols.com/chimney-top-draft-inducers?page_id=95

Thanks.

-Mark

Are you sure you don't have a restriction in your chimney pipe?

Or, more likely, a bad joint that allows fresh air into the flue after the flue collar (or at the flue collar). It's astounding how large an effect a small leak can have. I call them "draft robbers" because they steal your draft twice, once when they substitute outside air for stove air and once when they replace that warm light air with heavier, cold air.

I'm not a big fan (pun intended) of solutions that treat the symptom rather than the cause.

Reactions: bholler
Is the liner insulated?