Power insert blower during power outage?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I appreciate the input Jetsam, I assume they make the same kit for NG? My only concern I need a system that will recognize that the power is out, and then turn itself on. I already have a back up pump mounted higher in the sump pit and a spare sitting next to the sump. I never realized how much it could run until we had a very rapid thaw one spring. I remember back in the day, you could tell if your power was out by calling your home number and if the answering machine picked up you had power :)

That's possibly out of scope for something you can put together yourself for cheap.

The rub here is that you need a device that both watches for the power to go down and locks out utility power, then starts the generator. If you made such a device, I have to imagine that it would draw wrath from any building inspector, even if it was well designed and implemented.

Happily, you can buy one off the shelf (it's called an automatic transfer switch), but they can be expensive, and if you want to avoid a lot of head scratching and hardware hacking, you may want to stick with single-manufacturer generator + ATS systems.

So yeah, for what you want, possibly best not to try to go as cheap as possible.

That's possibly out of scope for something you can put together yourself for cheap.

The rub here is that you need a device that both watches for the power to go down and locks out utility power, then starts the generator. If you made such a device, I have to imagine that it would draw wrath from any building inspector, even if it was well designed and implemented.

Happily, you can buy one off the shelf (it's called an automatic transfer switch), but they can be expensive, and if you want to avoid a lot of head scratching and hardware hacking, you may want to stick with single-manufacturer generator + ATS systems.

So yeah, for what you want, possibly best not to try to go as cheap as possible.

Yes I know they are pricey, my buddy has one, a Generac i believe, he had it installed by an Electrician. He went to his basement and turned off his main. about 20-30 seconds later there was a loud snap and the ATS kicked on and then the generator started itself.

As soon as I can afford it, I'm going to install a whole house generator. In the Spring or even Winter when we get a heavy rain or fast thaw, my sump pump runs every 15-20 seconds. I can't be without power for long. If I'm on vacation I can't relax because my daughter usually watches the house but works nights.
When you get the generator please tell us what brand/model you felt was best and bought.

Will do, but it will be a while before I can afford it.

There are some ongoing threads on generators in the DIY forum here: