Power loss Vent Back Draft on Accentra Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

investor7952

Feeling the Heat
Jan 16, 2009
Norther NJ
Anyone experience a problem with Power Loss and getting a Backdraft?
I have the Accebtra insert vented back through walll not up chimney. My power went out the other day and of course the stove shut off. My room filled with some smoke and a burnt wood smell. I would ,like to know if anyone knows a cure for this ? I wouldnt think this should happen but I am guessing when comb motor and blower shut off like that alot of smoke is created.I guess the smoke cant get to the back of the insert to the little vent hole. I would think there would be a better feature for when the system losses power.

I would run the exhaust to the top of the chimney and install an OAK too.

Should help the problem alot.

jay

As I posted in the other thread - absolutely no problems when vented up an 18' chimney liner. How did you vent this thing? Doesn't the frame vent discharge aim up, not out?

all you need is a five foot vertical rise before the horizontal section that goes through the wall. I have this and have unplugged my stove while it was burning to see what happened and got no smoke in the room on two separate occasions.

Yes the Chimney method is much better but a five foot vertical rise will work. I know the manual says this and it works for me.

Do you have yours vented straight out?

Mark :)

Mark Fellows said:
all you need is a five foot vertical rise before the horizontal section that goes through the wall. I have this and have unplugged my stove while it was burning to see what happened and got no smoke in the room on two separate occasions.

Yes the Chimney method is much better but a five foot vertical rise will work. I know the manual says this and it works for me.

Do you have yours vented straight out?

Mark :)

My stove vent goes up about 4 ft then out the side of the house.Its not straight back. The problem is before the insert I had a gas insert.The chimney is a dummy chimney so I dont think I can vent anything up.

Another solution would to have a battery back up system. This will allow you to run the stove for a few hours while the electric is out and you can also do a routine shutdown that usually takes anywhere from 60-90 minutes.

I've had Three Outages this winter so far and each time not a whiff of smoke in the house. 26 feet of Chimney liner. Must have a good draft.

Medreach said:
Another solution would to have a battery back up system. This will allow you to run the stove for a few hours while the electric is out and you can also do a routine shutdown that usually takes anywhere from 60-90 minutes.

I found the solution on the Harmon site .They said 4 ft up before venting out will fix problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.