Power out - Shoulder season heat or backup generator?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tree farmer

May 23, 2008
Central NH
After losing power for 30 hours and going through an overheat with my Eko with no woodstove backup and burning over a half cord in my fireplace ( my eko replaced woodstove in basement) I am wondering if my next addition for heat addition should be a fireplace insert or a generator backup. How are other boiler operators setup? I would like to have both someday but need to plan $$$. We got off easy as many are still without power.

Definitely a generator....they can be used for so many other things as well as running the house during a power outage. That is, of course, if you get a portable unit. I run my house on a 5500 watt unit on wheels. It's quite handy...

The Guardian air-cooled automatic generators are a good deal. I paid around $1800 for a 7kw and that included the 8 circuit transfer switch. Installation is a few hundred more for the wiring and propane line. So far I've been happy with it. Takes about 10-15 seconds to come on when the power goes out. I have it set up to run my well pump, wood and propane boilers, the kitchen, and a couple circuits of lights and outlets.

I have a 5000 watt diesel generator on wheels, and my EKO plugs in to a wall outlet, not the best by any means but it works..If I had the money a standby propane generator with an automatic transfer switch would be ideal..Dave

Guess I'll look into a propane unit, seems be consensus and sounds like ideal setup with autostart. No gasoline units to be found around these parts right now, maybe I can find a good deal this spring or summer.

I have a 8000 with 13000 smack so start of any applance is not a problem. we have had no power since fri morning and it could be a couple of days. Pardon the post I am using my iPhone (no cable so can not go online)

Since I have no desire to listen to my 5500 generator all day and night, I installed a 500 watt charger/inverter that happily powers the Tarm and solar water system. When the battery runs low I can run jumpers in from a vehicle to charge the batteries as well as start the generator that needs to be used once a day to cool down the fridge and run water. This way the boiler can run without the need to run a generator constantly just for the 130 watts the Tarm consumes. There do seem to be people whom just love to hear the generators run but the power outages are some of the most peaceful times out here. But heck the inverter powers the laptop and DSL modem so if we are bored we are online.

Status
Not open for further replies.