Powerhouse 7T FX128-Z Electric Splitter Review

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundchasm

Minister of Fire
Sep 27, 2011
Dayton, OH
www.soundchasm.com
Howdy All,

If you're reading this, odds are that you know more about splitters than I do. I was pretty happy with my previous Homelight 5T electric, but it was irretrievably broken and had to be replaced. I always wished I had a little bit more power because I fed everything I could lift into the 5T. Much of that needed a release cut with the saw and a lot of strategy, but it always persevered with sufficient work-arounds.

This 7T does have slightly more power than the 5T, but the overall construction isn't that much heavier than the 5T. It likes its electricity farm-fresh. I had to use 150' of extension cord, and it couldn't get the job done until we switched to 12GA extension cord over such a long run.

It has two levers to depress to force you to use both hands, but I found a way to defeat that (thankfully). I used PVC I had laying around. The motor is "always-on", so that's one less interlock to defeat, so there's a bonus, it turns out.

It'll stall out before it trips a 20A circuit, but the manufacturer states it wants a 20A drop. If it stalls, then the motor needs to be cycled.

In summary, this thing will NOT crush stuff that a 5T won't, but it's a slight upward bump. And anything that translate into more splits hitting the wheelbarrow faster is a good thing.

The noise it makes is on par with the Homelite 5T. You won't wake the neighbors running it and it's not terribly irritating intrinsically.

The wheels are tiny, the stance is narrow, and I don't understand that. Accidentally knocking it over from the standing position is possible.

Here are some pics because it did happen!!:)

DSCN1113.JPGDSCN1114.JPGDSCN1115.JPG DSCN1119.JPG DSCN1118.JPG

Thanks,
Greg

Reactions: cygnus
Nice mod for the two handed operation defeat.;)

Edit: not that I would condone defeating the safety feature, simply commenting on the ingenuity of the solution.;em

Nice mod for the two handed operation defeat.;)

Edit: not that I would condone defeating the safety feature, simply commenting on the ingenuity of the solution.;em

I would never try to defeat it, but if I was, that's probably how I would do it. ;)

I stared at the things for days and it just came to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.