Powersmith Ash Vac

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bayfeet

Jan 12, 2009
Central Mass
I bought one about 5 years ago from a company off this sight. Started it up today and immediately tripped the breaker. In the past vac would overheat from time to time. Motor does not sound good, about to crap out. Anyone have similar problems? The majority of the posts are all positive on this machine. Vac has low miles so I’m surprised it’s going. Ed B

If that is the old power smith in the green can, there is a sponge foam type of filter that must be cleaned periodically. To do this, you must remove the five screws in the top to get at this motor filter.
I chucked mine and got the new power smith in the Stainless Steel can that has the exposed motor filter that is much easier to clean! I just blow it out with my air compressor once in a while when I empty it. :)

Reactions: Deezl Smoke
If that is the old power smith in the green can, there is a sponge foam type of filter that must be cleaned periodically. To do this, you must remove the five screws in the top to get at this motor filter.
I chucked mine and got the new power smith in the Stainless Steel can that has the exposed motor filter that is much easier to clean! I just blow it out with my air compressor once in a while when I empty it. :)

Yeah, it’s the green one. Never checked the motor filter, shame on me. I think the motors toast for this reason. Would also shoot dust out in initial startup, probably related. Thanks, I’ll keep an eye out for the new one if the old ones gone. Thanks much.

Does your new power Smith have more power than the old green one? That's the only complaint I have with my green one it sure doesn't have much power but I've owned it for several years and I'm still using it

Does your new power Smith have more power than the old green one? That's the only complaint I have with my green one it sure doesn't have much power but I've owned it for several years and I'm still using it
Used to feel that way also but since it is only used for pellet ash which is very light, it,s fine for us.

Never knew about that filter. Ours is 5 yrs old as well, will have to clean filter this weekend.

Sam

This is weird, I took the screws off but no filter inside. Anyone have a pic of what the one on the green can looks like?

The filter is just a grey piece of foam that is wrapped around the electric motor, and it can't be removed unless you disconnect the wires to the motor. You should also see a small, round black filter in the exhaust port - it can be removed and is just held in place by small tabs.

I use compressed air to clean both. Hope this helps.

The filter is just a grey piece of foam that is wrapped around the electric motor, and it can't be removed unless you disconnect the wires to the motor. You should also see a small, round black filter in the exhaust port - it can be removed and is just held in place by small tabs.

I use compressed air to clean both. Hope this helps.
The motor is toast I called powersmith and they want 50.00 + 8.00 for shipping. I’m almost in new vacuum price range. Motor # on side is KM1-T. Anyone replaced the motor in a powersmith ash vac?

I cleaned the internal filters in mine. Never knew about them.
Vac runs much cooler now.

Thanks Don2222.

I think it has about the same power as the green one, but now when it feels like it is loosing power
I just blow out the handy to get at motor filter and it is good as new. :)

Anyone have a link to the stainless unit, i can only find the green unit.

Thank you, I just found it on Amazon.

did not know that about the motor .. I have the older green model and will get to it tomorrow ... I see the 101 SS model on ebay for 89 bux w\ free shipping ... I have not had any issues with the green unit after 3 seasons at approx. 4 tons a season

did not know that about the motor .. I have the older green model and will get to it tomorrow ... I see the 101 SS model on ebay for 89 bux w\ free shipping ... I have not had any issues with the green unit after 3 seasons at approx. 4 tons a season
Yes I have the green one probably for six seasons now and probably about 25 tons at least. I also did not know about this filter for the motor so I cleaned it the other day and suction is better now.