Powersmith PVAC101 motor filter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

scajjr2

Feeling the Heat
Dec 9, 2010
Kingston, NH
Someone in another thread (which I can't seem to find now) suggested replacing the motor filter on Powersmith PVAC101 ash vacs. I ordered one, but don't seem to find one on my vac (PVAC101, 10 years old). If it didn't come wjith one, where do I install it? Took the top on the top cover off, just see a foam filter, nothing in the cage on the bottom.

sam

Reactions: cecil_archer
I emailed Powersmith and they replied saying it goes inside the cage under the motor and they only started putting them in 2-1/2 years ago. Kinda thought that's where it went but wanted to be sure.

sam

I emailed Powersmith and they replied saying it goes inside the cage under the motor and they only started putting them in 2-1/2 years ago. Kinda thought that's where it went but wanted to be sure.

sam
Yeah, it's a small cube foam filter. My Powersmith vac is about 6 years old and has the filter. Pulled the vac apart last year to check the filter and it was spotless, so back together it went.

They also attached a newer version of the PVAC101 manual which is newer than the one I had looked at on their site which doesn't show the new filter. Maybe they'll change it to show the newer manual.
I have to admit it's been a great vac. Only gets used every month or ton used so maybe less than 60 times in the 10 years we've had it but never had an issue. If this extra filter prolongs it's lifespan even more, great.

sam