Pre-owned Jotul F400 putting off a non-wood burning smell during first burn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TDurdin

Feb 15, 2018
Kingston, NY
Hello, I recently installed a pre-owned Jotul F400 in my living room. I burned the stove for the first time and it put off a burning paint smell for lack of a better term. The stove is used and had been burned many times before. However the chimney pipe, stove pipe adapter and heat shields are new.

Is the smell coming from the new parts or the stove? I also noticed something other than heat rising off the top of the stove.

TD

Probably from the new parts. If so, it should go away soon. Do you have a thermometer on the stove and stove pipe?

Could be newer paint on an pre-owned stove.

Could be the stove pipe . . . could be the stove was painted or stove polish was used on it.

Probably from the new parts. If so, it should go away soon. Do you have a thermometer on the stove and stove pipe?
Thanks for the response. I do not have a thermometer yet. Was planning on getting one. Any recommendations? I have seen the Jotul version.

Now that you mention the polish. Its in pretty good shape and the previous owner said he did polish it.

Thanks everyone for posting.

I burned the stove again and the smell was still there. After it cooled I wiped the top down with a wet paper towel and noticed a silver/black layer that was coming off. I don't know if this is a previous polish or paint.

Any ideas? Should I wiped the entire stove down?

It will eventually go away. I burn used stoves all the time, everyone puts off a smell for a while. Especially with new components.