Preexisting Stove Replacement Estimate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HudValley

Dec 22, 2013
Wallkill, NY
We are moving into a new home in New York's Hudson Valley. I am new to wood stoves and I am concerned with the existing dual door cast iron Timberline stove currently installed. We would like to replace the stove with something that is both safe and efficient.

Is it possible to replace the current stove with a newer model without making serious changes to the existing pipe and chimney set up?

If so, not including the new unit, how much do you think installation would run?

Greetings. Possible yes, as long as the current flue is safe and not too large for the new stove. To tell this we need to know a lot more about the current flue setup and chimney. Pictures are always welcome.

Greetings. Possible yes, as long as the current flue is safe and not too large for the new stove. To tell this we need to know a lot more about the current flue setup and chimney. Pictures are always welcome.
Thanks for the quick reply. Since we haven't moved in yet, I don't have many pictures. The flue appears to be in good condition as well as the chimney. The flue appeared to be 8". I have attached a picture, maybe you can get a better idea of the stove and its set up from that. Thanks for any help you can give.

Rob 2013-12-16 10.53.38.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, that would be an 8" flue. The stove is not exactly setup to code for clearances. A new stove will be an all around improvement. There are modern units with much closer clearances than the old Timberline.

The first step is to have a certified chimney sweep check out and measure the chimney. Modern stoves are fussier about good draft so we need to know the height of the chimney and the interior dimension of the tile liner in it. A sweep can provide both or you can if handy.

The second issue is going to be the thimble height. What is the height to the top of the current 8" pipe on the stove?

Next question is about the house. How large is it? How open is this stove room to the rest of the house. How well insulated is it?

We are moving into a new home in New York's Hudson Valley. I am new to wood stoves and I am concerned with the existing dual door cast iron Timberline stove currently installed. We would like to replace the stove with something that is both safe and efficient.

Is it possible to replace the current stove with a newer model without making serious changes to the existing pipe and chimney set up?

If so, not including the new unit, how much do you think installation would run?
You could spend 800 to over 3.5k for a new epa stove. Pipe will be the cheaper part unless it all needs updating then it could get costly also.
If you're going to do it go big and get her done right. I hear way more complaints about not enough heat compared to too much heat.
We know nothing about the size of your house or it's insulation so it is fruitless to help decide at this point what might work the best for you.
There are a few types of stoves on the market now that have diff secondary burn systems. One type has a catalytic converter and the other has re-burn tubes. Then there are stoves that incorporate both. For lack of a better simple term they are commonly called hybrids.

Thanks for the quick reply. Since we haven't moved in yet, I don't have many pictures. The flue appears to be in good condition as well as the chimney. The flue appeared to be 8". I have attached a picture, maybe you can get a better idea of the stove and its set up from that. Thanks for any help you can give.

RobView attachment 121377
Took me a second to notice the rear exit setup that stove has. That thimble height seems really low in that pic.

The initial decision will be whether there is a rear-vent stove that will work here without major modification to the flue or if a top-vent stove is a better choice. A rear vent will have less options, but most are quite good looking, cast iron units. A top vent stove will need the thimble closed up and a new one put in up higher. Unknown is whether a stainless liner needs to be added due to the chimney throat size or condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.