Prefab replacement suggestions--first post!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianD

Oct 31, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
Hi everyone,

First off, I apologize if this is the millionth time someone has posted this question, but I honestly need your feedback. We bought a 3 story contemporary last year and it came with a newly installed Monessen 36" prefab that is a smoky and drafty unit. The fireplace sits in a drywall framed chase with a SS chimney running to the cap. The house is 100% electric, so I got a quote of $11K from the gas company for 110 feet of main extension...looks like we will be staying away from gas until we win the lottery. My wife likes the look of a wood burning fire in that area, so a Lopi or Homestead hearth stove (my favorite solution) is likely a no go. Inserts for pre-fabs are something most contractors in VA won't touch, so that option is iffy and would likely result in a small firebox. If we do a tear out and replacement, a wood burning zero clearance unit would seem our next best, albeit more expensive, choice. Ideally we would use the unit for zone heating (approximately 1200 sq ft). I've been lurking on this forum for a few weeks and understand these units have their issues, so here is my question: are there any zero clearance "stoves" that are any good? Specifically, I've read reviews that mention smoke, poor heating, cold air infiltration, and fan noise, so candid advice and recommendations would be appreciated.

Finally, I stopped by a local hearth dealer last night and he tried to steer me to a propane-fired nonvented log set to look nearly fire-like and help heat the house, but this would require some exterior modification to the home and a propane tank that would require HOA approval, which is a wild card. Again, I'd prefer staying with wood, but want to be sure I'm not replacing one boat anchor with another. Appreciate your feedback.

Brian

Hi Brian,

I can't help you with your insert question but I would caution you against propane. It's going for about $2.55 a gallon here in Arkansas. It's a pretty expensive fuel to use for heat.

Larry

What insert will fit will depend on the interior size of the insert and whether the stove mfg. approves their insert for installation in a ZC fireplace. The insert will need a full liner. Take a look at Regency, Quadrafire, Pacific Energy, Lopi/Avalon, and Enviro inserts for starters.

Thanks Webby,

Shortly after I bought the house, I visited a local hearth store who sold Hearthstone and FPX. When I expressed and interest in a zero clearance FPX unit (36 Elite), the salesman said there were no zero clearance options available, even if I wanted to remove our existing prefab and replace it. From everything I've learned on this site and elsewhere, it seems he may have been wrong. His condescending "know it all" attitude really soured me on the hearth industry as a whole--if he was representative of the field, I wanted no part. We limped along with our prefab all last winter, but I'm tired of coughing and constantly knocking the fire. At any rate, it now appears the salesman may have been blowing smoke and I'll look for another vendor.

Brian

If you like the unit but don't have any luck in finding another store carrying it nearby you can also try to get a certified sweep for the install:
http://www.csia.org/search
Checking with your local building inspector and insurance agent may also not be a bad idea before putting anything in.

Do you actually have any dry wood for burning? If not I would take care of that first before buying the insert. Without dry wood you are probably better off getting your insert installed in the summer for burning next winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.