Preferred way to pipe wood stove in new construction?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

goldmember

Oct 20, 2009
Oxford, MA
Ok, so my wife and I are working with a builder to build a new home. 2100 square foot colonial (2 store) with a very open floor plan. It will have a bump out first floor family room 14x24 that is wide open to the dining/kitchen area. The only other rooms on the first floor will be an office and half bath/family room. The builder includes a zero clearance gas fireplace but I'd much rather have a wood stove in the family room. He mentioned pipe the stove straight up through the ceiling which are cathedral in the 14x24 room.

I'm just wondering which way is more advantageous to pipe? straight up or a up a few feet and then a 90 to a framed in chimney?

I'm thinking straight up . . . one less elbow . . . more heat gained from more exposed flue . . . and straight up generally results in a better draft.

firefighterjake said:
I'm thinking straight up . . . one less elbow . . . more heat gained from more exposed flue . . . and straight up generally results in a better draft.

I concur doctor. +1 Internet.

Straight up, better draft, less creosote, more heat offa the pipe

+2

way easier to clean a straight run, too!

Thanks for the tips. It definitely makes sense. I just need to see if I like it asthetic point of view. Time to view more pics from the homepage.

Status
Not open for further replies.