Prep. work for PE Summit Insert almost complete..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CK-1

Feeling the Heat
Feb 10, 2006
A few days ago I purchased a direct connect kit (4ft (6 inch) Round to Oval) from the local Hearth & Patio. After receiving about 8-10 inches of snow and plowing my driveway with the mower, I decided to put it in. I will be receiving a PE Summit insert in a day or two and wanted to get the prep. work out of the way before it arrives. Installation took about 2 hours due to most of the work going to cutting the block-off plate to size and working the hangers to hook on the inside of the damper frame. When I first placed the flex liner up the chimney thru to the first flue tile, I could already feel some suction coming from the other end. Once I installed the block-off plate with included insulation my chimney turned into a little vaccuum. After installation, I placed a piece of cardboard infront of the fireplace opening and the suction is keeping it in place. A few years down the road when I hit the lottery, I may opt. for a full liner but for now this will have to do price wise. Once the batteries charge on my digital cam. I will take come pictures.

Now its question time.. :)

How does the 6 inch round adapter connect to the flue outlet of the insert?. The kit didn't come with any hardware to fasten the liner to the stove...

Duct tape.

Remember, Duct tape is the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the Universe together.

Note - I AM JOKING!

Question: The 6 inch round adapter coming out of the chimney, is it vertical, on an angle or what? Also, where will it be compared to the flue height of the stove?

joshuaviktor said:
Duct tape.

Remember, Duct tape is the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the Universe together.

Note - I AM JOKING!

Question: The 6 inch round adapter coming out of the chimney, is it vertical, on an angle or what? Also, where will it be compared to the flue height of the stove?

The flex liner is centered in the middle of the damper frame. The Summits heights is about 23 1/8 inches and I currently have the liner resting at 23 inches even. Since its flex line, I can push or pull to get it connected to the flue outlet give or take 6 inches or a little more. Keeping the liner secured to the stove is important also.. but not with duct tape.. lol

CK-1 said:
A few days ago I purchased a direct connect kit (4ft (6 inch) Round to Oval) from the local Hearth & Patio. After receiving about 8-10 inches of snow and plowing my driveway with the mower, I decided to put it in. I will be receiving a PE Summit insert in a day or two and wanted to get the prep. work out of the way before it arrives. Installation took about 2 hours due to most of the work going to cutting the block-off plate to size and working the hangers to hook on the inside of the damper frame. When I first placed the flex liner up the chimney thru to the first flue tile, I could already feel some suction coming from the other end. Once I installed the block-off plate with included insulation my chimney turned into a little vaccuum. After installation, I placed a piece of cardboard infront of the fireplace opening and the suction is keeping it in place. A few years down the road when I hit the lottery, I may opt. for a full liner but for now this will have to do price wise. Once the batteries charge on my digital cam. I will take come pictures.

How does the 6 inch round adapter connect to the flue outlet of the insert?. The kit didn't come with any hardware to fasten the liner to the stove...

Depending on the brand of adapter, you can use 1/2 inch sheet metal screws. The collar should already have holes in it. If you are using a HS ultrapro adapter, don't use screws.
In that case, the adapter should just sit inside the flue, and you could use some high temp caulk or furnace cement ot seal the gap.

HotFlame said:
CK-1 said:

Depending on the brand of adapter, you can use 1/2 inch sheet metal screws. The collar should already have holes in it. If you are using a HS ultrapro adapter, don't use screws.
In that case, the adapter should just sit inside the flue, and you could use some high temp caulk or furnace cement ot seal the gap.

The round to oval adapter only has screws on the oval end of the adapter which screws into the flex liner thats entirely oval. The round end of the adapter has no holes or screws.. I'm thinking the round end slips over the flue outlet of the stove... could be wrong though..

Male End always down. You'll want the round end to fit inside the flue outlet to the stove. If it doesn't have holes then drill them.

Status
Not open for further replies.