Preparation help for installation of wood stove into old fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bolophonic

Feb 3, 2015
NC
I am getting ready to have a Jotul Castine wood stove installed in an existing fireplace in my old farm house in place of a janky old gas log setup. The inside of the fireplace was poorly painted years and years ago, and I am unsure of the best way to prep the masonry for installation of the stove.

The paint (somehow) does not contain lead. However, since this fireplace sits directly in the center of our living/dining area and kitchen where we live with our two toddlers, I am NOT in a position to sandblast the paint, grind it off with wire wheels, or douse the area with chemical strippers. What I am looking for is advice on the best way to stucco over the interior. Would a conventional thinset tile mortar withstand the heat output without creating an off-gassing/burning situation? Is there a high temperature thinset? I can't be the first person to have this problem, can I?
19BB457E-7050-4D9C-9215-9FE7B86F78E8-918-000000F07F3E75F2_zpsuxnoizcz.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
AFAIK, all thinset should be safe for this application. The main thing is to use non-combustible products. Stucco is a plaster. I think there are some blends done with white portland cement.

Note that the Castine if matte black painted will also offgas until the paint is baked in. If this is the case you may want to do the higher temp break-in fires during a day when the family isn't home for a few hours.

Last edited:
AFAIK, all thinset should be safe for this application. The main thing is to use non-combustible products. Stucco is a plaster. I think there are some blends done with white portland cement.

Note that the Castine if matte black painted will also offgas until the paint is baked in. If this is the case you may want to do the higher temp break-in fires during a day when the family isn't home for a few hours.

I suppose I could call the manufacturer of the thinset and ask them. I appreciate the reminder on the bake-in period for the stove. I REALLY liked the ivory porcelain finish. It's expensive, though!

Even if you can get thin set to stick to paint, what happens if that paint starts to loosen due to heat?

Even if you can get thin set to stick to paint, what happens if that paint starts to loosen due to heat?

I'm not going to stick the thinset directly on the paint. I would either screw a cement backer board in there or use a metal lath screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.