Preparing insert install finally and need input

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rick clifford

Oct 19, 2012
After some years I am almost there. Collected wood since sandy. All split and stacked nice and dry now. Maybe 6 cords. Just picked up a used Hampton hi300 insert which agreed with all clearances except the hearth pad which I will correct but wondering if there is a mat I can use this winter and perform a permanent install in the spring. This unit also got the wife visual approval. My real situation and question is that I live in a small cape cod 4 rooms on 1st floor and 2 up stairs. 900 sf. main level with an exterior chimney on north wall. I will get it cleaned but I observed missing mortar between some bricks on the back wall of the fire box and a little on the left wall and some along the lintel. Also some missing around the clean out door on the floor of the firebox. In addition I can see a couple firebricks have cracked. When I went outside I can see a few step cracks in the mortar and a couple bricks also have cracks. From reading here for 2 plus years I say I need to repoint the joints after clearing out .5 inch or more. The question is what is the best product and method to repack them. Also do I need to remove and replace the fire brick to pass inspection. Had an installer here who said its all fine the way it is and would install as is with no insulation or block off plate. Got scared as I want it all done correctly. Any and all info is greatly appreciated. Cleaning insert in the mean time. Who has the best prices for inserts fire brick and door gasket. Cant wait to get it going...Safely. Thanks

I had some cracked brick...this was a 3-flu chimney...dang.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What you are describing in the fire box is probably fine but with out pics cant say for sure as far as the exterior goes no need to do it now and you cant really do it now anyway wait till summer

Status
Not open for further replies.