Pretty good deal on new stove (Drolet $799 90,000 BTU EPA approved)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tradergordo

Minister of Fire
May 31, 2006
Phoenixville, PA
gordosoft.com
I have no affiliation with northerntool, just passing this along:LINK

My friend bought this stove for $999 last year and he is really happy with it. If you read the review on that site, it was written by my friend. Anyway, its now on sale for $799. The nice thing is that shipping was only about $100 and they bring it right to your door, also no tax. Seems like a pretty good deal to me. As mentioned in the review, my friend removed or painted over the gold trim, after that, it is pretty nice looking. Really puts out the heat. Weighs close to 500 lbs (plate steel). I believe it has limited lifetime warrantee as well.

:):) Yep :):)

I got one this last fall, paid $1000 but was able to look it over in the store ( Fleet Farm ) and take it home with me. I really do not like buying stuff like this without looking it over good first. Yes you may be able to send it back if you do not like it but that just seems like a big waste of time and diesel fuel. So the little extra money is/was, I think worth it.

Anyway took a while to get used to, burns very different from my old non airtight, but it has been working very well since I relearned how to build a fire.

When I opened the box the door glass was broken but I just called the store and they called the factory who sent a new one. Well, first the service counter girl said I needed to bring it back for exchange like as if it was a toaster, had to explain that this was a 560 lb. toaster.

I had pictures showing the broken glass while it was still on the pallet with the box around it but no one wanted to look at them. So now I have a new glass in the door and the two halves of the old one, it was broken in one crack top to bottom almost right in the center. Should be useful for future combustion research. ;)

Noticed some good deals in the catalogs and even the local hardware store and tractor supply. Obviously there is somewhat of a glut with such a warm winter and because some manufacturers calculated wrong when figuring numbers for this year (overbuilt).

It's a good time to go bargain shopping! This is probably true for dealers also, as even the top manufacturers must be feeling a little pinch. As the song goes "We got to move these refrigerators, we got to move these color TVs".

Money ain't for nothing and the wood is FREE !

I saw this stove at my local hardware store $999.00 ON SALE FOR $699.99
Seemed pretty well built. I liked the right hand door latch, and the fire brick was one or 2 pc, I forget, not a bunch of lil ones.
The latch mechanism was pretty cool too.

Hogwildz said:
Seemed pretty well built. I liked the right hand door latch, and the fire brick was one or 2 pc, I forget, not a bunch of lil ones.

Yeah. And you don't have to order those little ones from Drolet in Canada. Ever pay shipping on bricks? One thing I made sure of was that the firebrick in my stove was standard, grab it at the hardware store, firebrick.

I remember the guy that posted last year about getting the firebricks for his Lennox wood stove. Eight hundred bucks plus shipping because the only place you could get them was from Lennox dealers.

Get that 30-NC Hog. Standard bricks and right hand latch. And Mike to groan at if you have problems. Your big enough to groan at him, he is a pretty big guy. I have to be nice because I am I am a little fart.

BrotherBart said:
Hogwildz said:

Yeah. And you don't have to order those little ones from Drolet in Canada. Ever pay shipping on bricks? One thing I made sure of was that the firebrick in my stove was standard, grab it at the hardware store, firebrick.

I remember the guy that posted last year about getting the firebricks for his Lennox wood stove. Eight hundred bucks plus shipping because the only place you could get them was from Lennox dealers.

Get that 30-NC Hog. Standard bricks and right hand latch. And Mike to groan at if you have problems. Your big enough to groan at him, he is a pretty big guy. I have to be nice because I am I am a little fart.

LMAO, too funny.
I never seen firebircks like in this Drolet. 2 made up the whole wall, they were huge. I don't think they would be standard stock replacement anywhere around here.
When I ever get near completion on the addition, I am going to see if the Summit Insert can handle the extra load. If not I will be getting one of the Englanders. I really don't want the smaller ones, I want to set & forget, not fill every hour. Didn't they have a 24 model? I seen a 12 & 13, both tooooo small. I am still entertaining the idea of the 30, and with the way the house is set up, any extra heat will prolly make its way back into the main house area. Unless I come into some money, then I may get a Summit freestanding ;), NO NOT whorehouse Red either (sorry ROO :)), maybre the blue or ebony. Two Summits in here and I can give the Nuke plant thats 2-1/2 miles away, a run for its money!!!!!!!:)

Oh yeah, and I think I can groan, I can hold my own LOL. If necessary I'll bring my lil "kindling axe" :) j/k, One reason I would go with Englander is the way Mike took care of you with your problem. Thats the kind of company I want to give my business to!!!!

I wanna see ya get the 30-NC so you can post a pic of you going back in the other room and throwing a beer can at the Summit and yelling "What the hell was I thinking!". :cheese:

BrotherBart said:
I wanna see ya get the 30-NC so you can post a pic of you going back in the other room and throwing a beer can at the Summit and yelling "What the hell was I thinking!". :cheese:

Hey man I have style, LOL I drink out of bottles! LMAO
I don't think I could bring myself to curse the Summit, I love this thing.;)
If it only had a womans anatomy............well we won't go there. Sorry ladies.
I am curious to see how the Summit along with the 30-NC would pump some serious heat in this place. Best of both worlds.
Knowing myself all to well, I will prolly end up getting the 30-NC also. I already am making plans to put up a cultured stone wall in the office behind where the Englander will sit. Moved the electrical outlet I had there as far over as I could and low, maybe 8" off the floor. Perfect for a blower if wanted for the freestanding. I have it all planned out, just gotta get this ductwork run soon, its holding everything else up. Still have to finish my print of it, so I can get a final consult with Elk. He gave me some very excellent tips and advice. I just want to submit a plan I am drawing with a free program I d/l'd and get his final thoughts. The man is better than a code book! What a vast wealth of knowledge that guy has.

Hogwildz said:
BrotherBart said:
Hogwildz said:

LMAO, too funny.
I never seen firebircks like in this Drolet. 2 made up the whole wall, they were huge. I don't think they would be standard stock replacement anywhere around here.
When I ever get near completion on the addition, I am going to see if the Summit Insert can handle the extra load. If not I will be getting one of the Englander. I really don't want the smaller ones, I want to set & forget, not fill every hour. Didn't they have a 24 model? I seen a 12 & 13, both tooooo small. I am still entertaining the idea of the 30, and with the way the house is set up, any extra heat will prolly make its way back into the main house area. Unless I come into some money, then I may get a Summit freestanding ;), NO NOT whorehouse Red either (sorry ROO :)), maybre the blue or ebony. Two Summits in here and I can give the Nuke plant thats 2-1/2 miles away, a run for its money!!!!!!!:)

Oh yeah, and I think I can groan, I can hold my own LOL. If necessary I'll bring my lil "kindling axe" :) j/k, One reason I would go with Englander is the way Mike took care of you with your problem. Thats the kind of company I want to give my business to!!!!

Hey ! No problem here ......... Thats the nice thing about the Summit freestanding stove , Theres just so many options one can choose to fit there needs......................

9 different color options and 5 different door/trivit/legs options , awesome ash pan system, lifetime Warranty to back you up and it only takes 2 splits of wood to heat your house all winter ! ( unless your door is out of adjustment :lol: )

Roospike said:
Hogwildz said:
BrotherBart said:
Hogwildz said:

LMAO, too funny.
When I ever get near completion on the addition, I am going to see if the Summit Insert can handle the extra load. If not I will be getting one of the Englander. I really don't want the smaller ones, I want to set & forget, not fill every hour. Didn't they have a 24 model? I seen a 12 & 13, both tooooo small. I am still entertaining the idea of the 30, and with the way the house is set up, any extra heat will prolly make its way back into the main house area. Unless I come into some money, then I may get a Summit freestanding ;), NO NOT whorehouse Red either (sorry ROO :)), maybre the blue or ebony. Two Summits in here and I can give the Nuke plant thats 2-1/2 miles away, a run for its money!!!!!!!:)

Hey ! No problem here ......... Thats the nice thing about the Summit freestanding stove , Theres just so many options one can choose to fit there needs......................

9 different color options and 5 different door/trivit/legs options , awesome ash pan system, lifetime Warranty to back you up and it only takes 2 splits of wood to heat your house all winter ! ( unless your door is out of adjustment :lol: )

LOL....prick:) I just assumed for the $2,100.00 that included door adjustment, silly me :)

Hogwildz said:
LOL....prick:) I just assumed for the $2,100.00 that included door adjustment, silly me :)

Yeah. For two grand you would figure it at least included the ball peen hammer and Cresent wrench maintenance kit.

BrotherBart said:
Hogwildz said:

Yeah. For two grand you would figure it at least included the ball peen hammer and Cresent wrench maintenance kit.

Color matching even would be nice, and maybe a holder on the stove.

Hogwildz said:

http://www.drolet.ca/forcedownload.aspx?strFile=images/poeles/manuel_en/6519692005508.pdf
Fire brick layouts on pages 5,6, and 7.

In this manual the smaller stove does use all custom cast refractory but the larger stoves and the one I have use mostly 9 x 4.5 inch thin ~1" bricks, there are a few that are narrower or wider and shorter. If you have a wet saw you could just use 9 x 4.5 and cut to fit where needed.

The traditional standard size for a firebrick is 9 x 4.5 with thickness of 2.5" for normal and 3" for heavy bricks I have only seen them in furnaces not in stoves. All the stoves I have seen use ~1" thick which may be some kind of thin or half thick standard.

The big kicker on the HT-2000 is the baffle plate, it is two large refractory plates that could be hard/expensive to get. They are just simple flat plates so I think I would get a bag of castable refractory and try making my own if needed.

Hogwildz said:

Hey Hog - my friend lives somewhat close to you, can you tell me what store had this stove for $699 and are you SURE it is the same model? I think he might consider buying another one for that price - he lives in an old stone house (built before America declared independence!) that has about 5 fireplaces, he only uses 2 of them right now (and both are on the lower level).

PM me if you want.

tradergordo said:
Hogwildz said:

Hey Hog - my friend lives somewhat close to you, can you tell me what store had this stove for $699 and are you SURE it is the same model? I think he might consider buying another one for that price - he lives in an old stone house (built before America declared independence!) that has about 5 fireplaces, he only uses 2 of them right now (and both are on the lower level).

PM me if you want.

I am going in to town today, I'll double check make & model and get back to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.