Pretty good test for the Endeavor last night

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdust

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2009
Michigan
Being our first season with the stove I've been waiting for a colder night to see how the stove would perform. Our goal is to supplement our heating cost(propane) not eliminate them and so far it's done a great job. As of yesterday we have only used 15% of our propane since it was filled the first week of Nov. and our hot water also uses it.

Last night we had our first windy low teen night this season and the daytime highs were also in the Mid teens. We'll obviously have some colder weather but I think it was a good test. I loaded the stove around 10:30 pm, when I woke up at 7:00 am this morning we still had a good coal bed to reload with. The t-stat is set at 70* since we have an 8 month old in the house, the furnace did run for about an hour total this morning. I'm usually up till midnight so I need to time my last load of the night better so I'll make it longer with meaningful heat. Last year without the stove our daytime t-stat settings were 66* with a roll back to 61* at night. The heat would've probably ran for 6-8 hours for the day last year in these types of temperatures. If I kept the t-stat at 66* I don't think the furnace would've ran much.

So far we've been very happy with the Endeavor. We're heating 1950 sq feet which is near the max rated area for this medium sized stove. Our living room has double doors that we can close off that knocks about 300 square feet off the total so that helps. We knew the stove would be slightly undersized when the weather was cold but we wanted the low clearance and smaller foot print provided by the Endeavor vs the Liberty. We're staying warmer then last year and using a lot less propane, my wife and I are both sold on wood heat!

We use our Endeavor to supplement 2 electric heat pumps heating 1,800 sq ft. It got down to about 17F last night. I had the upstairs at about 74 when I banked the fire at about 9:30 last night. I filled it with oak and a little hickory right up to the fire brick and was in bed by 10:00PM. Stove was cruising around 600F or so. I keep the upstairs thermostat set at 70F and the downstairs at 65F. I hate taking a shower upstairs when it's below 70F. I heard the heat kick on around 2:45AM. I got up at 5:00AM, and the stove top was 300F, and I had a nice 2" coal bed when I raked the coals out even. By 5:20AM I was at 600F on the stove top again. I think fixing the little crack in my door gasket by adjusting the hinges has helped my overnight burns.

To get through the night fully on wood heat, I think I'd have to have gone with the Liberty.

We heat with the 380-96 (endeavor before it was called that) and it does pretty well until 4 or 5 in the morning. We're in an old farmhouse with some remaining single-pane windows and it's been in the teens the last couple nights in upstate, ny. I probably would have gone with the Liberty as well, but they're very hard to find used.

Hearth_Dan said:
We heat with the 380-96 (endeavor before it was called that) and it does pretty well until 4 or 5 in the morning. We're in an old farmhouse with some remaining single-pane windows and it's been in the teens the last couple nights in upstate, ny. I probably would have gone with the Liberty as well, but they're very hard to find used.

I saw a link to one of those 380-96s on here the other day. It had been cleaned up with fresh paint and fire brick. Damn fine looking stove! I would say that in really cold weather, we get about 5 hours of what I call "meaningful heat" out of the Endeavor. Now, that's not to say that waking up to a 300F stove is chump change. You can definitely tell a big difference in the "feel" of the air when walking downstairs to a 300F stove vs. a cold stove, even with the thermostat reading 65F in both cases. The same 65F air just feels much colder with a cold stove. I'd love to have a catalytic stove some time to make a direct comparison with.

Pagey said:
Now, that's not to say that waking up to a 300F stove is chump change. You can definitely tell a big difference in the "feel" of the air when walking downstairs to a 300F stove vs. a cold stove, even with the thermostat reading 65F in both cases.

Since it's a little colder I've been using the blower on half speed and it helps to get more usable heat out of the stove. A 300* top temp. with the blower running still throws out some pretty good heat.

that's funny! I'm selling that stove! Actually it is pending, supposedly the guy is coming over tonight. It was one I found and fixed up thinking it would go to someone I knew... Definitely nice stoves.

Radiant heat is amazing. It's the heat you feel without the air's help.

rdust said:
Pagey said:
Now, that's not to say that waking up to a 300F stove is chump change. You can definitely tell a big difference in the "feel" of the air when walking downstairs to a 300F stove vs. a cold stove, even with the thermostat reading 65F in both cases.

Since it's a little colder I've been using the blower on half speed and it helps to get more usable heat out of the stove. A 300* top temp. with the blower running still throws out some pretty good heat.

We did not purchase the blower. Think it's worth the additional investment?

Pagey said:

When we bought the stove Lopi was including the blower for free. When it's warmer it's hard to run the blower since it overheats the family room rather quickly. When it was warm I didn't think I'd ever get to use it. Now that it's a little cooler I think it helps to move the air around a little more then without it. I really find it useful when the stove starts cooling off, it seems I can get more usable heat for a longer peroid of time with it running.

It's handy when you let the fire run away from you a little, turning the fan on will bring the top temps down pretty quick.

rdust said:
Pagey said:

When we bought the stove Lopi was including the blower for free. When it's warmer it's hard to run the blower since it overheats the family room rather quickly. When it was warm I didn't think I'd ever get to use it. Now that it's a little cooler I think it helps to move the air around a little more then without it. I really find it useful when the stove starts cooling off, it seems I can get more usable heat for a longer peroid of time with it running.

It's handy when you let the fire run away from you a little, turning the fan on will bring the top temps down pretty quick.

Good to know. I may invest.

Status
Not open for further replies.