Preventing moisture, birds, bees, bugs, etc from entering your exhaust and intake pipes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

treehackers

Sep 25, 2008
South Central MA
It is my first off season with a pellet stove and I heard many members discussing the need to block the exhaust and intake vents to prevent moisture from entering the stove - here is what I came up with.

Go to your local plumbing supply store and get what is call a TEST PLUG - see image

As you tighten the nut the unit compresses and the rubber expands out sealing the pipe. WORKS GREAT! Nothing will get in past this.

Make sure you get sizes smaller than the pipe need to plug. a 2.5" - 2.75" is what you want for a 3" pipe - don't over tighten.

Also - if you get a test plug with a wing nut you may need to replace the wing nut with a traditional nut to be able to tighten it up inside of an outside air intake.

These cost about $5 each - it will last for years

Attachments

• 15449_M6908_4.jpg
    15449_M6908_4.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 414
Also in the plumbing section of your favorite "home improvement store", a rubber Fernco type pipe caps work very well. These are black rubber, come with a screwdriver adjustable clamp and go on the outside of the vent pipe. A 3" cap is about 3.5" ID and perfectly for 3" Simpson vent pipe.

nosaudioil said:
Also in the plumbing section of your favorite "home improvement store", a rubber Fernco type pipe caps work very well. These are black rubber, come with a screwdriver adjustable clamp and go on the outside of the vent pipe. A 3" cap is about 3.5" ID and perfectly for 3" Simpson vent pipe.

I thought about those but it wouldn't work for my OAK - looks the same as a dryer vent so I needed something that would plug the inside diameter.

stoveguy2esw said:
our oak kits are screened so im sure a plug wouldnt work , will have to look at that
outside air pipes are required to have screens for rodents etc.
some disasemly will be required to plug the oak. depending on exhaust cap some take apart might be needed to do this too

Wood Heat Stoves said:
stoveguy2esw said:
our oak kits are screened so im sure a plug wouldnt work , will have to look at that
outside air pipes are required to have screens for rodents etc.
some disasemly will be required to plug the oak. depending on exhaust cap some take apart might be needed to do this too

I just have a plastic cover screen that easily pops off

Attachments

• vent.gif
    vent.gif
    55.8 KB · Views: 286
Status
Not open for further replies.