PreWay Insert Trouble

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FishHarder

Mar 1, 2015
PA
Hey y'all I have a question. My Fsther in law has a insert in his fireplace im assuming was from Sears in 1990s maybe. It has a 14"x7" flew out of the top of it is fireplace as no flue door. Top of the firebox of the insert sits 15" down from the Chimney flew. No matter the size of the fire the house will reak of smoke and wood. It has 2 bi fold doors on from. Not a locking door like a real fire insert. Im assuming thats why it reaks,

Would pulling a liner in the chimney to the insert help in any way of helping it draft. Do they sell an adapter from the rectangle to the 6: round Liner Will this really spell the end for the dasterdly Insert. Could Craigslist hunting be the cheaper solution . (obviously still installing the liner)? Need some Knowledge dropped on this young pup.

Thanks

Post some pics. It may very well not be worth putting a liner on it but it should not be used the way it is either

Ok i wont be able to get a set of pics until thursday when i pull it out of and take it outside. I was gonna remove the back cap it is screwed in and inspect it for pin holes, just to be sure no light shines through. I found one picture of the front of the same model to give an idea of what this ugly beast resembles. https://www.hearth.com/talk/data/attachments/34/34789-31e8de9ca18e2a51c2cf1ff68c324b9a.jpg
is 3M fireBlock fire caulk ok for sealing a firebox? Sorry im a welder and on out commercial sites we use it everywhere. I can "borrow" some when needed.

Well that really just looks like a set of fireplace doors. And no fire block caulk will not work at all it is not fireproof in anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.