Primary air on a Hearthstone Castleton

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Kamiobi

Feb 4, 2008
North Island Japan
My parents have a Hearthstone Castleton that they installed last year, but it hasn’t been burning all that well. Part of the problem was the wood, but the primary air control doesn’t seem to have an impact on the fire. When it is moved from full open to full closed there isn’t any resistance and there doesn’t seem any change in the flame at all. On my Woodstock Keystone when adjusting the air control you can see an instant change in the flame.

Is it possible the primary air control arm isn’t connected? Is there a way to easily check this or would I need to remove some part to see where is should be connected?

That sounds like a classic wet wood symptom. Try it with verified dry wood. Note that the stove will not regulate the same as the Keystone. They are different secondary burn technologies. If the stove has adequate draft and the fire is burning well, then turning down the air should make the flames on the wood lazier, and the secondary combustion more robust.

I know the first winter it was the wood, but experimenting just recently (cool weather here in Alaska) the wood is dry (15%). It seems to have something to do with the draft because it just doesn’t look like it is drafting very well. I looked at the manual to see if there is recommended chimney height. I may get up on the roof and try to putting a section of black pipe on and see if that makes a differences.

Can you describe the flue system in detail from the stove to the cap including any elbows, tees, etc.?

No ts or elbows and straight up inside 14 ft single wall black pipe and 8 feet class A outside. Exits at the roof ridge and no trees nearby.

That should work well, except that there is going to be a lot of heat loss due to the long run of single wall stove pipe which may be reducing draft. Long runs of single wall are not recommended. The other possible issue may be negative pressure in the house. If a nearby window is opened a little, does the stove work better?

The single wall could be the issue, but my parents aren’t interested in switching. Pretty sure it isn’t negative pressure because there is a small green house attached to the house not too far from the stove that has an exhaust fan that isn’t sealed that lets in air as much a slightly opened window. Even though I will recommend that they give it a try when things get colder and they start using the stove every day. Thanks for the help.

If it were my stove I would have put in double-wall stove pipe. Show them this paragraph from the Castleton manual:

We do not recommend long runs of stovepipe to increase heat dispersal. Longer lengths of stovepipe, or more connecting elbows, than necessary increase the chances of draft resistance and the accumulation of creosote buildup.