Primary & secondary C F M Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

waynecub

Hearth Supporter
Mar 1, 2008
vermont
I have been building my wood down burn gasification system this summer and have read a lot on the forum about primary and secondary air. I am still not sure how many C F M's it takes. I hope that my system will put out 100 thou. B T U's I would like to have a draft fan for the primary, and a draft fan for the secondary air. This way I Think I could control the burn better. Or should I have one fan and control it like most of you? In a lot of the pictures that I see on your systems the air intake is closed down a lot.
This is a great forum to read and learn Thank You.
Marcus

marcuswayne said:
I have been building my wood down burn gasification system this summer and have read a lot on the forum about primary and secondary air. I am still not sure how many C F M's it takes. I hope that my system will put out 100 thou. B T U's I would like to have a draft fan for the primary, and a draft fan for the secondary air. This way I Think I could control the burn better. Or should I have one fan and control it like most of you? In a lot of the pictures that I see on your systems the air intake is closed down a lot.
This is a great forum to read and learn Thank You.
Marcus

Been a while since I crunched the numbers, and I've only had one cup of coffee, but here goes:

As well as I can remember, you need something like 25 CFM of air to get 80,000 BTU/hr at an oxygen ratio of 1.6 x stoichiometric (considered a good goal to ensure enough excess oxygen to get complete combustion).

The ratio between primary and secondary is more of a challenge. My personal suspicion is that the ideal ratio changes over the course of a burn, with more secondary air needed early and less towards the end as you start burning charcoal. At this point, I don't know any answer except experimentation. I have a lambda sensor that I intend to use to get more definitive answers.

Thanks Nofossil, that gives me a number to look for. I will use a CFM fan that is larger and choke down the air to primary and secondary to try and get a good burn.
I will give you a call when it's in my basement and plumbed. I still am trying to find a storeage tank.
If you are ever looking for a elec. hot water tank there is a man in Bristol that removes them for CV & GMP. The tank that I picked up is a 75gl. fiberglass $40. and it look good. He also has 80gl. that are I think stone lined. My 75gl. will have a side arm to heat the water.
thank Nofossil
Marcus

marcuswayne said:
Thanks Nofossil, that gives me a number to look for. I will use a CFM fan that is larger and choke down the air to primary and secondary to try and get a good burn.
I will give you a call when it's in my basement and plumbed. I still am trying to find a storeage tank.
If you are ever looking for a elec. hot water tank there is a man in Bristol that removes them for CV & GMP. The tank that I picked up is a 75gl. fiberglass $40. and it look good. He also has 80gl. that are I think stone lined. My 75gl. will have a side arm to heat the water.
thank Nofossil
Marcus

So where are you in Vermont? I'm not far from Bristol, and I have a couple of friends who are looking for cheap tanks for solar DHW storage.

Nofossil, I'm in South Starksboro. I'f you remember I went to your house last winter and looked at your system.
I will e-mail you with more info on the hot water heaters.
Marcus

Status
Not open for further replies.