Primer for the new stove buyer part 2

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elkimmeg

9. Stove final placement. It makes no sense to go further, without knowing if your stove can satisfy clearance to combustibles. Its time for research. Most new stove manufactures have web sites where you can download and read the installation manual. Stove A, with a heat shield may fit your location, where stove B, does not have that option and will not comply. Most manuals have diagrams indicating the minimum requires distances to sides top ect. and required hearth pads or extensions. Be careful with the clearances to the loading doors. In USA 16” is required, but if the stove is listed and tested for 18” then it is 18” In Canada it is 18”

10. While you have your manual, check all the above for venting requirements. There is a way to build a reduced clearance enclosure, as regulated by code. Do not assume the surface is non-combustible so therefore it is ok. Heats can transfere through tile or bricks. Such protection must factor thermo conductivity, or the ability reduces heat transfer to the combustible underneath. Same goes for the Hearth extensions, they have to be non-combustible and thermal resistant. Most UL approved rugs do not satisfy thermal resistance

11. At this point you now should know what model stove should work or not. A word about heating area and BTU output claims. For one they are overstated, tested in lavatories. Quite different from field conditions. In the real world, my opinion is to reduce the over inflated numbers by 1/3

12. Can you install a stove? Warranty issues aside, are you equipped to handle 450 lbs? I takes two people to handle the liner installation, plus dealing with heights over 30’ Better than 90% who read this far, the installation is beyond their capability. It is best to have the professionals deal with it. Do your research and find a retailer or installer you are comfortable with. One that stands behind the product he sells. You might pay more but if problem arise, you want to know the solutions will be handled in a timely professional manner.

13. Finally my part: Yes permits are required. If things do not go well with your installer, the inspector can be your best route to resolve. You spent all this money, it make sense to get a professional opinion, that all is safe and that it meets code. My advice to the consumer is to use a payment plan. Pay for the stove and installation materials, so much on completion, and final payment after a satisfactory inspection. Most dealers should find this agreeable. Some states also have contract guideline laws, check with your consumer or attorney generals office. Other states keep records of complaint against manufactures and retailers. While poking around it might be a good idea to check them out before you get involved.

14. Ownership: There is a learning curb all must go through. Learn how to get the desired results of your new stove. The best learning tool is a stove thermometer. Processing wood is a time consuming job. Your chimney and stove should be cleaned and assessed before every heating season. One also should monitor chimney condition during the heating season. Burn dry seasoned wood.

15. A word about common sense and safety. Make sure your smoke detectors are working. Carbon Monoxide sensors are cheap enough; there is no excuse for not having them. Keep small children away from the stove. Have a working fire extinguisher available. Do Not Burn Junk

I could not post the entire primer due to character limitations feel free to make suggestions or additions Hopefully craig will Wiki it

This also goes in conjunction with buying a used wood stove Which I will try to post

damn thats a long post, copy and paste this one into a second reply so we dont get all confused with two threads, then mabey craig can delete this one.

"Tested in lavatory conditions. Quite different from field conditions."

LOL, I love late night posts.

But this is good stuff Don. Belongs in a more permanent location after it's revised and finalized.

If I wote without my usual typos, nobody here would believe I created it. Plus after a cookout and a few tall ones, anything is possible

If you wrote it without the usual typos it wouldn't be half as entertaining. Type on inspector!

Status
Not open for further replies.