Problem re-lighting a direct vent fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CraigR

Jan 1, 2021
I have a Heatilator Nasim 27" LPG direct vent fireplace with standing pilot. It has worked fine for years, but has built up a lot of soot on the glass interior. I shut down the pilot valve and gas line valve and let the unit cool, then removed and cleaned the glass. I reinstalled the glass, opened the gas line and relit the pilot, then turned the pilot valve to "On". But now the wall thermostat will not trigger the main burner to light. Any ideas on where I should start looking? Any suggestions are appreciated.

If your unit is sooting, the air shutter is set wrong. It needs to be opened more & maybe opened fully.
The manual should tell you what that setting is supposed to be.
Can you see where the thermostat is wired to the gas valve?
Connect those terminals together with a paperclip or a short jumper wire.
Does the unit come on?

Reactions: CraigR
If your unit is sooting, the air shutter is set wrong. It needs to be opened more & maybe opened fully.
The manual should tell you what that setting is supposed to be.
Can you see where the thermostat is wired to the gas valve?
Connect those terminals together with a paperclip or a short jumper wire.
Does the unit come on?
Yes, I jumped the connections and the unit fires up as normal - thanks!
Does this mean I have a bad thermostat? Just weird that it was working fine before I shut down the system to clean. Is there a component in the thermostat to be replaced, or do I need a whole new thermostat? Thanks for your help.

Pull the thermostat, removes the wires & touch the ends together.
If the unit fires up, replace the t-stat. If the unit DOESN'T fire up,
it's the wiring. Could have been damaged by a critter in the wall
or maybe it's compromised by a nail or screw in the wall.

Pull the thermostat, removes the wires & touch the ends together.
If the unit fires up, replace the t-stat. If the unit DOESN'T fire up,
it's the wiring. Could have been damaged by a critter in the wall
or maybe it's compromised by a nail or screw in the wall.

Sorry for the delay in responding, but thanks for the info. Your suggestions did the trick. I replaced the spade connectors at the pilot assembly and tightened the connections in the thermostat, and the unit works as normal now. I might end up having to pull the wiring at some point but at this point it looks like it was just loose connections. Thanks again!

Reactions: DAKSY