problem with keystoker coal burner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

G_Dub

Hearth Supporter
Dec 7, 2007
Upstate NY
hello,
i have a keystoker rice coal burner, and it is my first year burning with it. it has worked great for the season, but today i noticed an odor coming from it (co leaking maybe? i'm not sure) The doors are sealed tight, and i just cleaned out the vent pipe and checked the chimney. any suggestions from a veteran? thanks -gw

yes, it smells like sulfur, and it hasn't set off the co detector. the seals on the front doors and hopper door are good. i think i might have to shut this unit down for a cleaning and try to find out where the fumes are leaking from. hope its not cold tomorrow...

Here's a hint.

You just cleaned out the vent pipe, so you dislodged the ash and whatever else was probably helping to seal the seams of the pipe. Get some RTV on those joints and I bet the sulfur smell goes away.

thanks corie,

thats a good tip. i'll rtv them when i have the unit apart today. i could see the fumes in the sunlight permeating from the hopper. i'll post after i fix the problem.

yes, the gasket is good along with the lid. i had someone come over and look at the unit, and he thinks i got some wet coal. i'm going to get a bag from somewhere else today and see how she burns.

Status
Not open for further replies.