Problems with my Vermont Castings Defiant Catalytic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jim Walsh said:
As per your questions as per moving the air, I don't know if you have a full masonry backdrop to the stove, but if the rear heat shield was an option then I would remove it as long as you feel it is a safe option.

We decided to put our money into a stone hearth. After the recent episode I felt that having our hearth 100% made of stone instead of with wood walls was the safest option. I'll talk the mason and ask for his input on the heat shield. It will be nice to have the stone able to hold the heat.

I'll play around with the fan option. I'm just glad the stove is working properly now. It's cranking out loads of heat as it should. It's a nice feeling to have a wood stove when it's cold outside. It really provides a nice warmth in the house and our pets really love the stove. There's something about heating with wood that is really special. I'm actually glad it's cold enough now that I can use the stove constantly. I miss the wood burning smell during the summer.

I used to have a VC Difiant (much older model like the one Jim Walsh has). The guy was moving out of the house and didn't want to move it. I asked him how much, $200 was the reply, I couldn't drag it fast enough! I did get it on the truck by mysef and showed the wife, she had no idea what we had but it was a wood stove (aux heat, power outages, etc). The house was 2700 sqft, two story 1923 craftsman (what's insulation?) formal living room with french doors at most entries. That stove was very capable of heating the down stairs and most of the upstairs as well. When we sold the house, I wanted to take the stove with us (uh, YEAH!), but the buyers liked it (I bet!) and the wife decided to let it go with the house (after all the "new" 3,200 sqft house had a franklin stove in it already). After the one and only time we lit the franklin, we went on line to see about getting another VC. Then she saw what a deal I had gotten and that it was not likely to happen again. So now I have a "cost friendly" stove made in Canada. It's OK, but it is NOT a VC and does not do near the job.
We are in central NC and the temps here are not severe by any means (unless you are from Florida, but then you wouldn't be on this forum). We do get ice storms and the power does go out twice a year or so. We use the stove as aux heat to suppliment the gas heat. When the power goes out, we just hanker down in the basement (1,100 sqft +/-) and stay very cozy. If you have a VC Cat, keep it!!! It will do you better than you may think.

Status
Not open for further replies.