Problems with new Portway Arundel stove, smoke in room

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Hi new to the forum. Found it by searching for problems with this stove, Portway Arundel multifuel XL.

We had one installed a few weeks back and are experiencing the exact same problems as the op. Smoke billowing in to the room every time the door is opened. The fire takes ages to get going and then we need to crack the door to get enough draft to keep it going. Poor design, not operator error.

I have already contacted Portway asking for a refund. It’s obviously not fit for purpose. Any further advice on how to go about this would be appreciated.

Sorry to hear this. Hope you can get it resolved before it gets cold.

Reactions: Tim Harrison
Thanks, spoke to a Portway engineer today. Acknowledged that the shape of the stove coupled with eco regulations makes it difficult to manage. I liken it to looking after a small child, it needs constant attention. I don’t need that in my life. But I think I’ll have a fight on my hands to get it swapped out. Any advice still welcome. Either way I’ll keep you posted.