Productive afternoon

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdust

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2009
Michigan
My old man came out today and we knocked down 4 standing dead aspen/poplar(I think). I wanted to get this done before they fell on my neighbors house! We bucked two of them and then called it a day. I'm amazed how wet the wood still is and they were standing dead last summer. What a mess they made when they hit the ground!

Here are a couple pictures.

Attachments

• P3140012.JPG
    P3140012.JPG
    240.4 KB · Views: 476
  • P3140014.JPG
    P3140014.JPG
    187.9 KB · Views: 466
Even healthy Poplars are a hazard and can fall in a wind. I cut down any Poplar that shows any sign of disease if it's at risk of falling onto something.

LLigetfa said:
Even healthy Poplars are a hazard and can fall in a wind.

We had some really windy days(50+mph gusts) the past couple weeks and every morning I would wake up wondering if they fell on the neighbors house! I'm glad they're knocked down so I don't have that worry anymore. They may not be the best for burning but for free they'll burn fine. :) Clean up is going to be a pain though since they exploded when they hit the ground. I have two large ash tree's in the back of my property that I plan to cut next.

Its a good thing you got those down. As for them being wet, popple is noted for that. They turn punky really fast and punky wood will soak up moisture. The way they are broken just from falling says how bad they were.

90% of the blow downs around here are Poplars ...very shallow rooted. anyway perfect time to do that before the grass starts growing.

if they are poplar, stack them and they will be dry in a very short time. good wood for the shoulder months.

Finished cleaning up today, I can't wait for tomorrow so I can get back to work and relax! :) Attached is a picture of my burn pile for the scrap/branches(we might be able to see the fire from space when I ignite these dry branches!) and another of the logs piled/stacked up. They won't be stacked against the tree for long, I was just to burned out to move them where I wanted them.

Attachments

• P3150015.JPG
    P3150015.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 240
  • P3150017.JPG
    P3150017.JPG
    218.2 KB · Views: 263
Status
Not open for further replies.