Products for Cleaning fireplace brick?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Turner-n-Burner

Hearth Supporter
Mar 21, 2006
North of Boston
Can anyone reccomend a product for cleaning the face of my fireplace? When Elk and I took down the fireplace doors, there was a residue of smoke/ash/??? on a few inches of brick. Most will be hidden by the insert surround anyway, but I'd like to clean it off before I go any further with assembly.

Would prefer something mild, easy and that doesn't require rinsing. Was tempted to try windex, but figured I'd ask the experts first.

Thanks,
-Turner

You may have to resort to a steel brush. Brick is quite porous.

Use the search feature of this site. this has been discussed before

Wonder how a "steam clean" would work on brick ? You could also bring your sand blaster into the house ......

O.K. I was kidding on the sand blasting but still thinking a steam cleaner would work.

They make a brick and stone cleaner, rutland- spray bottle ,think i got it at home cheapo, works good, used it on fireplace, great for the hard to reach morter joints too, spray on let stand, wipe off.

Status
Not open for further replies.