Profab done?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't heard anything like that yet. Knock on seasoned hardwood, but i haven't had to contact them in the last couple of years. Hopefully get another 10 yrs outta it then I'll switch to heat pumps

According to this dealers website: http://www.woodheatmi.com/Page_2_Pro-Fab_Industries_p.php

NEWS FLASH:

It appears as of June 2016 that Pro-Fab has closed it's doors, we have been given no warning or even any notification from them, but phones don't go through, no email, no text. So my guess is they have bailed on us all. We still have one indoor Elite 200 V3 left in-stock and will sell at a greatly reduced price. We also have some supplier contacts for replacement parts ect. if you need items email us your info and we will try to get you what you need. A shame their gone, the new all stainless steel line is what was needed all along, they finally built the best unit, but apparently lost so much getting there.

I never had one but they looked like pretty well built units. Hopefully they didn't just close up shop with no warning to all their customers like that post suggests.

Probably will open under new name to get out of the warranty claims from the problems they had. I had considered them when I bought my boiler, but glad i went with a proven design.

Any more word on profab? Would be nice if the tech guys started a new company without the weight at the top. I like mine.

When this thread first appeared several weeks ago, I did some extensive "google" research. It appears that the parent company was privately owned. They had several different divisions - boilers, laser cutting steel, steel fabrication, and a lot of oil and gas field work, probably in the Canadian oil sands projects. With the economic conditions, increase of fracking gas/oil and the drop in oil prices it does not surprise me if these factors played a part in the company closing it's doors.

They were most likely hit hard, as were most in the western oil patch. Things have started to turn around out there. It will be interesting to see how the newly annouced "Carbon Tax" pushes people. New tax will be on Gas,Diesel, Propane, NG, Heating Oil, and Coal. Starts out at $10/ ton of greenhouse gas and goes to $50/ton by 2022.

People are already talking solar and wood as the tax is rumored to add 14 cent/liter of heating oil. I've had three people call me outta the blue to ask about my solar systems.

I'm hoping to be able to keep my Profab going for at least another 5 yrs(until the kids finish university) then I'll look to upgrade to a system with storage(Garn Jr).

Status
Not open for further replies.