Professional Cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bdaoust

Nov 28, 2012
Western, MA
I'm getting my stove "professionally" cleaned because my insurance company requires it to cover the stove. (I may eventually change insurance companies)

Anyway, I found a Harman dealer outside my area that will do it for $150.00.

Is there anything I should make sure they check or really clean out besides the exhaust and little fines compartment? It's a P68.

Thanks
Brian

whip out your manual and make sure they cover everything the manufacturer wants cleaned yearly.

Reactions: Delta-T
ESP probe should be taken out and cleaned with wire brush, distribution blower fins cleaned, any creosote scrapped off in stove, burn pot scrapped of any carbon, all holes in burn pot should be opened, ignitor cleaned, pipe brushed out. Most of this is not in the manual. They should be there at least 2hrs. AND make sure they clean up after themselves. I also do a draft test and run the stove in test until the blowers go in high/low. That should keep them busy. $150. is a good price, a little lean but they should be doing more than what I mentioned.

I strongly recommend against the wire brush on the ESP probe...wet paper towel will do. The common mistakes are: not cleaning the fines box, not cleaning the ESP probe, not cleaning the squirrel cage on the distribution blower, not cleaning the vent pipe. Don't fall for the "we fixed it, but it has other issues".

Status
Not open for further replies.