Programable Thermostat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John C.

Mar 31, 2012
Wethersfield Ct.
Any idea's or suggestions on a schedule that other people might use for their stoves. I just purchased a Avalon Astoria Bay insert and hooked up a thermostat to it.If the temp in the house goes down to low it takes a while for the whole house to equal out. Just using box fans to move the air around.

Its been my experience that setting back the temperature requires a lot of time to recover back to an even temperature. There is thermal mass involved and when you allow everything in a home to cool down it takes awhile for heated air to warm everything back back up. I have found it best to just set back a few degrees.

Reactions: Gary Gileau
Its been my experience that setting back the temperature requires a lot of time to recover back to an even temperature. There is thermal mass involved and when you allow everything in a home to cool down it takes awhile for heated air to warm everything back back up. I have found it best to just set back a few degrees.
Ok thanks DB.

I set my house back to 62 when I'm not around or at night Midnight-5AM. Keep Kitchen (thermo location) at 69 when I'm here.
Takes about 1 hour to heat house up to 69 on a cold windy day on heat level 3 on my M55C

If I run out of fuel and house gets really cold I bump the heat level up to 5 until warm.

---Nailer---

I use 63 for low and 68 for high most times. I sometimes manually bump that to 70 if it gets chilly after being in the warm room for a while. but, I find these settings are not ideal. It doesn't come down fast enough, and ends up turning off, just to kick on and run the ignitor cycle all over again 10 min later. This may fix itself when it gets colder.

I use 63 for low and 68 for high most times. I sometimes manually bump that to 70 if it gets chilly after being in the warm room for a while. but, I find these settings are not ideal. It doesn't come down fast enough, and ends up turning off, just to kick on and run the ignitor cycle all over again 10 min later. This may fix itself when it gets colder.
I've just been running in manual. I may have to move my thermostat to another room.I bought a Filtrete 3m50 wi-fi stat,did you change ur swing temp. at all from the default.Where u buyin ur pellets? Thanks brian.

If its in the mid to upper 20s I shut mine off about midnight and have it come back on at 5AM the upstairs of the house holds enough heat to not have the boiler come on. Colder it stays on all day/night, adjust the feed a little bit so it does not get to warm in the house.

I'm running level 3 on swing, which gives me .75 deg +/- on the Lux. I tried 5 for a while to see if it wouldn't kick off as much, but i found it just made it hotter, and thus still had an even longer cool off time and ended up shutting it down even more often than with the lower swing temp. I'm still not happy. I wish I could disable the hi/lo for an hour, if no call for more heat then off to just be hi/lo as frankly lo generally keeps my place at temp once it's there. I sometimes debate going back to manual mode. But, it is OFF for a few hours a day mid day when im not home and the sun is out. I have some good passive solar with a lot of southern exposure.
I actually have my thermostat on an outside wall. In my avatar, it is on the mantel to the right of the big maroon candle there.... so it's colder there than the room is generally speaking as it's 'behind' the hot air trajectory. I do want to upgrade to a wi-fi or wireless unit and move it to my dining room (to the immediate left in the picture) to get a better rounded temp. But, i've adjusted the temp settings to match where it sits.

I get my pellets from BT Pellet in bristol.

I'm running level 3 on swing, which gives me .75 deg +/- on the Lux. I tried 5 for a while to see if it wouldn't kick off as much, but i found it just made it hotter, and thus still had an even longer cool off time and ended up shutting it down even more often than with the lower swing temp. I'm still not happy. I wish I could disable the hi/lo for an hour, if no call for more heat then off to just be hi/lo as frankly lo generally keeps my place at temp once it's there. I sometimes debate going back to manual mode. But, it is OFF for a few hours a day mid day when im not home and the sun is out. I have some good passive solar with a lot of southern exposure.
I actually have my thermostat on an outside wall. In my avatar, it is on the mantel to the right of the big maroon candle there.... so it's colder there than the room is generally speaking as it's 'behind' the hot air trajectory. I do want to upgrade to a wi-fi or wireless unit and move it to my dining room (to the immediate left in the picture) to get a better rounded temp. But, i've adjusted the temp settings to match where it sits.

I get my pellets from BT Pellet in bristol.
My stove doesnt have a hi/lo either on or off,maybe should of asked more questions before buyin. haha. Thanks.

in that case, i'd run it on manual too. Don't bother with a thermo.... drop it to 1 when you leave, and bed time, crank it to 3 when you're home.

Status
Not open for further replies.