Progress Hearth Pad

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Brono

Sep 2, 2018
Rhode Island
Good afternoon all,

We are in the process of closing on our new home and will be installing a wood stove, most likely the Progress. We are going to be using the optional ash lip to lower the front clearance, however trying to figure out how that will change the overall dimensions of the pad on a corner hearth installation is kicking my butt; math was always my worst subject. I'm looking at either a basically flush hearth, so I would need the full 8" clearance, or possibly a raised one; in this case I'd use a 2x6 frame, 3/4" ply, 1" total of cement board, finished with brick veneer. Since the 8" include vertical clearance, I wouldn't require any in this set up. If someone is able to walk me through how to calculate it properly, that'd be great or if that ends up being too difficult if they are able to just provide what the overall dimensions would be in each scenario. In both cases, looking for the stove to be centered on the pad. I truly would love to understand the math, but I get if that's asking too much. I've included the sketch from the manual for reference.

Thank you

Attachments

• PH Pad.jpg
    PH Pad.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 110
I've been seriously mulling this over, I think its best to get some tape out and mark the stove location on the floor then measure off from there for the clearances, and personally I hate corner installs, to me they take up way to much floor space, and when figuring out clearances I typically find the minimum then add a couple inches extra for piece of mind.

I'm assuming the changes to the hearth dimensions is the stove options and heat shield options. Based on the options the stove location on the hearth changes as well. Mine did. So what I did with my Oslo is based on the heat shields and stove tables, I located where the stove is on the hearth. Then I created the required front clearance. And yes I did this with a few straight boards, cardboard cut out of the stove and a tape measure. See how mine came out on the left.

So back to your question, without spending a lot of time. What I see is they gave you one dimension change "A" and up to you to use trigonometry to figure out all the other changes. Make a few triangles and calculate the dimensions. I don't see how it locates the stove, but that maybe the next step. It would have been nice if they would have shown all dimensions with all the options. I would call Woodstock. Note, I did a straight up chimney, so exactly locating the centerline of the stoves exhaust was key.

Last edited:
My PH is a corner install and everything works great. I used masking tape, as mentioned above, on the tile to map out the stove placement and then measured clearance from there. This also helped me know where to locate the stove when I installed it. By the way, I also built the elevated pad and did the same before measuring out the dimensions of the pad. In your measurements, don't lose sight of the necessary space needed for the side load door. Since my stove is rear vent, I also had to calculate pipe length to the wall thimble -- and the size/length of available pipe. If you will be using rear vent, remember to account for about 1/4 rise in pipe per foot on the horizontal pipe out the back.

My stove has rear heat shield, ash pan, double wall pipe out the back, and lip. It is a great wood stove!

Thank you all for the replies. We don't close for another week and was hoping to be able to figure it out on paper to get a head start on building the pad, but it is likely best to wait until I am able to get in and actually put the tape down and see where it lays. I plan on the heat shield, ash lip, and double wall pipe, top vented. @After Burner, how many inches oc did you space your frame supports out?

About 12 inches OC and then used several cross supports. I used 3/4 plywood and two layers of cement board on top. Then thinset and tile. It is very solid and has held up very well. Hope this helps.