Progress Hybrid and Seasoned Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

toddnic

Minister of Fire
Jul 13, 2013
North Carolina
This begins our 3rd season with our Progress Hybrid woodstove. Back in the early 1990's I had a old "smoke dragon" and it seemed to not matter what type of wood or moisture content that I fed it. My experience with the Progress Hybrid has definitely been quite different than what I experienced 25 years ago. We truly struggled our first two years trying to get seasoned wood. Sometimes I would open the door to the stove and hear a sizzling sound as the moisture was boiling out of the wood. Other times I would come out in the morning and see the glass on the woodstove all covered in carbon because the wood had too much moisture in it. That being said....I currently have a mixture of red oak, white oak, and maple that has been seasoned for a full three years that has a moisture content below 20%. The PH is functioning amazingly well! It truly is significant how differently the stove operates with seasoned wood under 20% moisture content. The heat output is greater. The front glass stays clean. Getting and keeping the fire going is easy. All I can say to those of you that are just beginning your journey with a woodstove is that it will get better if you work towards getting three years ahead on your wood. It definitely takes time and diligence but it really pays off!

Yes I too have the amazing PH, and well seasoned wood sure works better. Depending on the species, where it was laying on the log pile, how well it was covered etc. the moisture content varies. So, for me, generally by feel and weight I can tell the sizzlers from the dry. If the fire is right and things are humming along I add a wet piece once in a while. Never do I wake up in the morning and an unburnt piece of wood is sitting there.

Reactions: toddnic
All I can say to those of you that are just beginning your journey with a woodstove is that it will get better if you work towards getting three years ahead on your wood. It definitely takes time and diligence but it really pays off!
Yep, three years in the stack, and you know it's gonna be nice and dry...even Oak. >> And burning gets easy, like you say. No poking at the wood, trying to get it to burn. I just load a top-down, light, and close the door for the duration. Just a couple air adjustments at the beginning, and you're done. :)

Reactions: toddnic
It's nice that the PH is happy. The clear glass is a good sign. The experience is the same in most stoves, seasoned wood makes for good performance.

The PH has "glasses". 2 pieces. Keeps the inner one super hot, less buildup.

The PH has "glasses". 2 pieces. Keeps the inner one super hot, less buildup.
Keystone and Fireview have double glass, and I think the steel stoves do too.

I know the Absolute does have double, however, originally in the prototype phase it was going to be single to save cost. But alas, recently I was told it is double. Brilliant idea to do that in my opinion.

Reactions: Woody Stover
I know the Absolute does have double, however, originally in the prototype phase it was going to be single to save cost. But alas, recently I was told it is double. Brilliant idea to do that in my opinion.
They will go ahead and spend a buck if it means a better product but they keep their prices low, unlike some other "premium" stove makers... ;)

I don't know, the Fireview and Keystone used to be affordable stoves. Their prices have gone up a lot in the past 10 years.

I don't know, the Fireview and Keystone used to be affordable stoves. Their prices have gone up a lot in the past 10 years.
Agreed. I was quoting Rearscreen referring to the Absolute. You have to figure that putting together a stone stove is more labor intensive, and I think the price of soapstone may be up...not sure. I got in cheap on the Keystone, back when they had the 30% tax rebate, and still got in pretty cheap on the Fv, around 2K. Buying today, even though it ain't as pretty as the Ks, I would go for an Absolute. Seam-free steel construction and IMO superior quality, engineering and functionality to some other brands costing half again as much.
PH has got most of that, with some pretty stone. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.