Progress Hybrid appearance question and block off plate, flu liner question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boiler74

Burning Hunk
Nov 30, 2012
West Lafayette, IN
Hi all,

Two quick questions.

First, I was in my local wood stove store today and saw a Hearthstone soap stone stove, and the soap stone was freaking beautiful. I am planning on ordering a Progress Hybrid stove, but the soap stone in Woodstock's pictures isn't near as dark as what I saw today. Is there that much variation in the stone, or will a PH come with stone that dark? Perhaps their pictures just make it look lighter?

Second, I called Woodstock today and talked to one of their folks about clearances and flu liner. I will be using my existing fireplace and lining my flu all the way up. I was told, that since I am going to line my flu all the way up, that there will be a block off plate at the top of my chimney and I do not need one where my damper is now. He went on to say that not having a block off plate down where the damper was is better because it will allow heat up my chimney, helping to reduce creosote issues. Sound right? I was under the assumption that you always put a block off place in, but that it was a pain in the butt. If I don't have to, great. But does this other theory about warming the flu around the liner make sense?

Thanks
Josh

Welcome to the forum Josh.

Too bad you can't visit the factory as then you could see the stone and could actually choose the stone you like! They would save that particular stone and use it in your stove. Also I noticed that it also depends upon the color of the cast and how it matches the stove as to how it turns out in the final. If you wish, I think Woodstock might even send you a couple pieces of stone so you can see it. There is a difference in the stove that Hearthstone uses vs the Woodstock. However, the big difference between the two is the thickness of the stone that Woodstock uses. In addition, there is a huge difference in customer service and Woodstock is second to none there!

If you insulate the liner then it is more common to put the block off place at the bottom. By insulating (and you should) that will take care of any worries about a cold chimney.

Good luck.

Thanks Dennis. I think I'll just have to request the darkest they have and hope. Pictures never show the real deal anyway. I've tried online dating... I know!! Ha!

I was planning to insulate the flu. If their flu liner kit comes with an upper block off plate already, can I just stuff that Roxul stuff in above the firebox damper? I've read on here of people using that as a "soft" block off plate.

Josh

;lol I have to admit that I've never tried online dating.

If they say it will work I am not one to doubt them as they have more knowledge than I for sure. Hopefully some of the others more knowledgeable in this area will also chime in on this thread.

One other thing you might consider is to ask Woodstock if they have any customers in your area and perhaps one would let you visit them to see the stove and ask questions. We went that route and if we had not we probably would not have bought the stove, but that is a different story because of circumstances at the time. Too bad you don't live closer or we'd invite you to see our stove.

I don't know if this is the case here but with soapstone counters, there is a big difference between what sealed/oiled and natural looks like. You might ask Woodstock if any sealers are safe at high temps - I would guess not but really, they are the experts.

A nice thing about natural soapstone is that marks rub right off with steel wool.

One other thing to note is that when you first get the stove the stones will be a bit lighter than their final color - they darken a bit after/during the first few good hot fires. At least mine did a bit. The grain patterns change a bit too - likely a function of how the colors change in the stone with heat. In any case it is interesting to see - Not a major change but it is there none the less.

As to differences between the WS and Hearthstones - I believe that the Hearthstones may have a finish or are a different stone that polishes harder. I seem to recall that they recommend against the steel wool fix for scratches etc while WS recommends it (basically you buff off a bit of stone to smooth it out using 0000 grade steel wool).

Hearthstone soapstone has a finish on it, oiled or stained or something. That is how you can order them in different colors (red, green brown, blue.....). Woodstocks are natural stone only.

I would be curious as to what oil/sealer to use. When the stone is wet on our stove it is much more brilliant than dry

I would be curious as to what oil/sealer to use. When the stone is wet on our stove it is much more brilliant than dry

If you end up calling Woodstock for advice please share - I'm really curious what they would say....

Status
Not open for further replies.