Progress Hybrid chimney cleanout.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dwd902

Apr 4, 2020
NH
I purchased a soapstone progress from woodstock soapstone about a year ago. I had someone who has a business and is reputable come install the chimney and stove. My question is now that the burning year is coming to a close how do I clean it? I've had a wood stove before that had a cleanout door in basement. So the pipe is connected to the stove on top and goes straight up through the roof. No elbows or anything. If you brush down will the crud go into the stove? I plan on having someone come clean it but I'm am wondering if the guy missed something with install or if there is a way to do it. Thanks in advance for the reply.

Does the stovepipe have a telescoping pipe section?

Mine has a telescoping stovepipe and I remove it to clean the chimney. I use a SootEater and go up from the bottom. I also clean the back of the stove in the process.

Sounds like the same setup as mine, I do a top down clean up cause I don't mind getting up on the roof.
What I have been doing lately is raising the telescoping section up about 6" from the flue, I take a plastic shopping bag and tape it using painters blue tape to the bottom of the pipe (not elaborate) then going up on the roof, removing the cap and then send my poly chimney brush (w/ fiberglass rods) down the pipe 4 or 5 times. All the chimney junk ends up in the bag, I clean the cap separately with a regular metal brush, put everything back together done in less then 20min.

Yes it has a 48 inch telescoping section I believe.
Very easy then. Get a SootEater, remove the telescoping section, and clean up from the bottom.

Perfect thank you. Greatly appreciate it.
Some don't even remove the telescoping section if they can raise it up a foot or more off the stove.

Reactions: moresnow
Get a soot eater and do it yourself and save $$$

Reactions: toddnic
No, you guys have it all wrong. That stove has terrible design. To think it doesn’t get scary hot every time you run it no mater what you do that it even has the chance to build up anything in the pipe. He should just send it to me and I’ll give him my Lowe’s special. I have been burning wet-ish wood all season and hardly anything in the pipe. Although I do get a bit nervous when I use good dry wood...

while on this topic. What would happen if you cleaned too down and left the stuff in the stove? On my last stove and the current (both non-cat) there was never much in the pipe so I just left the stuff sit on the top baffle.

What would happen if you cleaned too down and left the stuff in the stove? On my last stove and the current (both non-cat) there was never much in the pipe so I just left the stuff sit on the top baffle.
For one depending on the baffle type material and the amount of creosote, you can snap your board, some fiber board baffles get thinner and more delicate over time. Also if you have a lot of creosote it can block the air passage up the flue, effecting the burn since air would be restricted.

What I have been doing lately is raising the telescoping section up about 6" from the flue, I take a plastic shopping bag and tape it using painters blue tape to the bottom of the pipe
Some don't even remove the telescoping section if they can raise it up a foot or more off the stove.
Hmmm, who'da thunk? ;lol
He should just send it to me and I’ll give him my Lowe’s special.
Yeah, that would be nice, but good luck getting him to go for that. ;)
That somehow sounds like a hell of a mess in the middle of the living room...
Yeah, I'd go from the top if you can..much easier and cleaner. It'll be a long time 'til I can't get on the roof anymore.

Not with a bag taped to the pipe once the sooteater brush head is in the pipe. The rods just need a small hole to pass through.

Reactions: moresnow
Not with a bag taped to the pipe once the sooteater brush head is in the pipe. The rods just need a small hole to pass through.
OK, Gramps. ;)

Not a grandpa, never will be.

Tron, I have a bucket with a hole in the bottom that is the exact diameter of the SootEater rod. The bucket goes around the stovepipe and catches most of the soot. You're correct, without the bucket or something to catch the soot, it would be a mess.

Reactions: Tron
No, you guys have it all wrong. That stove has terrible design. To think it doesn’t get scary hot every time you run it no mater what you do that it even has the chance to build up anything in the pipe. He should just send it to me and I’ll give him my Lowe’s special. I have been burning wet-ish wood all season and hardly anything in the pipe. Although I do get a bit nervous when I use good dry wood...

while on this topic. What would happen if you cleaned too down and left the stuff in the stove? On my last stove and the current (both non-cat) there was never much in the pipe so I just left the stuff sit on the top baffle.
What leads you to say that the stove has a terrible design? Not sure that I understand your point....Lowe's special, wet wood, nervous about using dry wood?

What leads you to say that the stove has a terrible design? Not sure that I understand your point....Lowe's special, wet wood, nervous about using dry wood?

It was meant as a joke. The wood stock stoves are clearly among the top companies. My stove however is a cheap hunk of steel from Lowe’s that is a bear to control. It likes to go from nothing to full blast when starting up even with turning down the air. I mostly have it down but still no reasonable control compared to a decent or high end stove.

• Haha
Reactions: toddnic