Progress hybrid owners: need minimum clearance help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

barnaclebob

Feeling the Heat
Nov 29, 2017
Puget Sound
I'm building the hearth for my on order progress hyrbrid today and hope one or more of you can give me some quick help since woodstock isn't open right now.

The manual states 6" clearance from the stove pipe shield or 7" from the stove heat shield. Which is the critical dimension? If I make it good for the 6" distance, does that cover me for the 7" requirement too? I need to push right up against the limits to route the chimney without any elbows.

The stove clearance in this case is the critical dimension. Note that double-wall stove pipe can also be used in lieu of stove pipe heat shields. This is a much better option.

Incidentally, as part of Woodstock's sale, they are offering 20% off all venting, and if you haven't gotten your stove yet, they could send it with your stove. They use Selkirk venting, which has 6" clearance for their double walled pipe. If you want, Woodstock can also paint it to match the stove if you prefer not to have black.

Last edited:
The stove clearance in this case is the critical dimension. Note that double-wall stove pipe can also be used in lieu of stove pipe heat shields. This is a much better option.

Yeah I'll be using double wall stove pipe to get the same clearance. So with 7" to the back of the stove and 4.5" to from the back of the stove to the center of the pipe, my pipe center is 11.5" from the wall. That should be a little conservative because the heat shield doesn't look like it sticks out quite as far as the part of the stove that connects to the pipe. Looks like with those dimensions I'll have an inch to spare in the cavity in my wall with 8" OD double wall class A pipe or right at the limit for 10" OD triple wall pipe.

Not following. Why 8" chimney pipe instead of 6"? What is meant by in the wall? Can yo post a sketch and some pictures of the plan?

Not following. Why 8" chimney pipe instead of 6"? What is meant by in the wall? Can yo post a sketch and some pictures of the plan?

Yeah I see how my description is confusing. 6" class A has an OD of either 8" or 10" from what I can find online or am I missing something?

There is a 16" square cavity in my second floor walls that essentially connects the first floor to the attic, kind of like a tiny old abandoned elevator shaft. The rear clearance on the stove is pushing the class A that will pass through this cavity to near the 2" clearance limit but I'm pretty sure it is good. I'm trying to do the chimney in a straight shot and minimize the hearth size so that's why these dimensions are critical.

I'll try to post a sketch tomorrow but I think I'm good

Stick with double-wall chimney. It's better quality. Check into whether the wall cavity should be fireblocked at each floor level.

The clearance is 6 inches from the stove pipe shield to the wall. It is 7 inches from the back of the stove heat shield to the wall. Obviously your minimum clearance will be 7 inches due to the stove positioning.

The clearance is 6 inches from the stove pipe shield to the wall. It is 7 inches from the back of the stove heat shield to the wall. Obviously your minimum clearance will be 7 inches due to the stove positioning.

From the pictured it looked like the stove pipe was further back than stove heat shield.

20180407_120316.jpg

This is the cavity in the wall that the chimney will go through. Pic is from the attic and the bottom of the cavity is right over the stove.

Last edited by a moderator:
Plan on a fire blocking attic insulation shield there.