Propane Inserts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Themlruts

Sep 16, 2012
We just bought a house and looking into adding a propane direct vent insert or maybe a vent free log set. Not sure whats better for my needs. I have had 3 pellet stoves over the years but in the new house we want the ease of the propane. I went to my local heart store and they carried Heat&Glo. They were over 4K I think this is a bit pricey for a gas insert. I mean there are more parts in a pellet stove. Can anyone recommend any manufactures to look at? The Pellet stoves i have in the past where from Quad.

House
1400 SQft Colonial
I am not looking to heat the entire house just help off set some of the oil. The first floor is pretty much wide open. The house is on lake so the back of the house on the first floor is pretty much all windows.

See attache image of Fireplace measurements

Let me know your thoughts.
Thanks
Mike

Attachments

• IMG_3729.jpg
    IMG_3729.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
As far as using it for heat i would go fireplace insert route over a gas log set. I can speak for the Kozy heat line and the Fireplace Extrodinaire line as that is what we sell at work.

The Chaska 34 and the roosevelt 34 from Kozy would fit int there without a problem but you are going to need a shroud to cover up some of the extra space around the opening. You could always do a custom 4 sided surround and that would help take some of the metal off the top but it will also add to the cost of the project.

From Travis i would reccomend either the 616 or the 34 DVL all 4 of these units are close in size kinda comes down to looks, and what you are willing to spend depending on the install and everything around 3500-4k is probably going to be a good average. Unless you were willing to do a cash and carry and install it yourself, if that is something you are comfortable doing. When we send a unit out cash and carry we go out and do the start up of the unit and look at the installation to make sure it was done properly.

As far as using it for heat i would go fireplace insert route over a gas log set. I can speak for the Kozy heat line and the Fireplace Extrodinaire line as that is what we sell at work.

The Chaska 34 and the roosevelt 34 from Kozy would fit int there without a problem but you are going to need a shroud to cover up some of the extra space around the opening. You could always do a custom 4 sided surround and that would help take some of the metal off the top but it will also add to the cost of the project.

From Travis i would reccomend either the 616 or the 34 DVL all 4 of these units are close in size kinda comes down to looks, and what you are willing to spend depending on the install and everything around 3500-4k is probably going to be a good average. Unless you were willing to do a cash and carry and install it yourself, if that is something you are comfortable doing. When we send a unit out cash and carry we go out and do the start up of the unit and look at the installation to make sure it was done properly.
Cash and carry is not a problem. I installed my pellet stove myself. I buddy will plumb the propane. What do you think prices are like with cash? I still think it’s not going to be realistic right now to swing the insert. I would also need to get the stainless liner. What’s that another $500 right?

so going back to the log sets. That might be more affordable. What do you recommend there ?
Thank you for your help.
Mike

Cash and carry is not a problem. I installed my pellet stove myself. I buddy will plumb the propane. What do you think prices are like with cash? I still think it’s not going to be realistic right now to swing the insert. I would also need to get the stainless liner. What’s that another $500 right?

so going back to the log sets. That might be more affordable. What do you recommend there ?
Thank you for your help.
Mike

I would guess cash and carry on a insert would be around 2800-3200 roughly with all the parts and pieces you would need, which include a aluminum liner and the chase top .

As for log sets they send the bulk of their heat right up the chimney versus into the room. It will warm up some of the space directly around the fireplace. plus with them not having a fan on them they dont have the ability to push the heat further into the space.

I would guess cash and carry on a insert would be around 2800-3200 roughly with all the parts and pieces you would need, which include a aluminum liner and the chase top .

As for log sets they send the bulk of their heat right up the chimney versus into the room. It will warm up some of the space directly around the fireplace. plus with them not having a fan on them they dont have the ability to push the heat further into the space.
I was thing vent free logs?

I would not do a vent free log set especially in a house where you sleep dont like the idea of exhaust being dumped into a closed up space where I sleep. I would compare it to running your car in the living room with your windows closed.
Thanks
Since your in the biz what is the deal with places like northcountryfire.com and .efireplacestore.com They have some units that seem more in the price range.

I can't believe that vent free appliances are actually legal in the US.

Never ever would I want a non-vented heater in my house.

That being said look at the efficiencies of the direct vent units before you buy. A few hundred extra for the unit could save you a pile of money in propane over the years.

Thanks
Since your in the biz what is the deal with places like northcountryfire.com and .efireplacestore.com They have some units that seem more in the price range.

My complete guess and somebody please correct me if i am wrong, they are more online only retailers versus have a local storefront so they have less overhead, and are selling more of a price point style of unit. The material of the unit is probbably a little bit thinner and probably not as many bells and whistles. the other benefit of buying from the local guy is when it breaks, as all units will i dont care what brand it is they all do, a local guy is able to get out there and fix it for you and take care of all the warranty issues for you.