Propane piping in Maine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

quadrinary

Feb 4, 2017
Maine, USA
Hi Hearth folks -

I'm getting ready to pipe in a cook stove at my home and due to the load, I'm needing to replace my existing 1/2" copper line off the regulator with 5/8". One contractor suggested running black pipe from the regulator into the house and then connecting with the existing copper there. Having piped many natural gas installations with black, I'm very comfortable with this.

My inclination would be to use a union coming off the regulator to join with the rest of the black pipe as it goes into the house. My thought is that if needed, I can easily disconnect the regulator for replacement, etc. While this sort of thing would be fine for natural gas in IL and CA (states I've both lived and piped in before) I'm not sure if this is ok here in Maine. If not, I'll just stick with copper tube off the regulator and into the house, as it's currently done.

Thanks!

-quad

Hi Hearth folks -

I'm getting ready to pipe in a cook stove at my home and due to the load, I'm needing to replace my existing 1/2" copper line off the regulator with 5/8". One contractor suggested running black pipe from the regulator into the house and then connecting with the existing copper there. Having piped many natural gas installations with black, I'm very comfortable with this.

My inclination would be to use a union coming off the regulator to join with the rest of the black pipe as it goes into the house. My thought is that if needed, I can easily disconnect the regulator for replacement, etc. While this sort of thing would be fine for natural gas in IL and CA (states I've both lived and piped in before) I'm not sure if this is ok here in Maine. If not, I'll just stick with copper tube off the regulator and into the house, as it's currently done.

Thanks!

-quad

You will have to talk to your local Plumbing Code Enforcement or Plumber's Union in order to find out what the approved methods are.