bogieb Posted By bogieb, Jun 2, 2015 at 6:57 AM

1. Wisneaky

Wisneaky
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 8, 2015
    Loc:
    Northern Wisconsin
    At that price I'm almost considering saving my wood until LP gets more expensive. My tank is almost full and I have enough paid in advance to almost get another complete fill up.

2. Cory S

Cory S
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Oct 12, 2014
    Loc:
    NH, USA
    If you have good storage for wood, I would. Unless your wood is free obviously. I would burn propane in the summer just for fun at that price.....

3. Wisneaky

Wisneaky
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 8, 2015
    Loc:
    Northern Wisconsin
    I actually have mine stored in a dry shed. I pay for my wood. I think it's around $150 a loggers cord right now. I have plenty of wood. It would cost me about the same if I use my LP vs wood at that price. My LP furnace is 95% efficiency and I use around 4 to 5 gallons a day depending on how cold it is out, that's with the gas stove, water heater, and dryer.

4. Peterfield

Peterfield
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 12, 2013
    Loc:
    New Hampshire
    Cheaper than bottled water. The surplus must be staggering.

Cory S, Wisneaky and Pete Zahria like this.
  5. Tails1

Tails1
    Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 19, 2016
    Loc:
    Ajax, Ontario Canada
    Just for the heck of it what is everyone paying for LP now? With gasoline prices climbing here and the next recession on the horizon I am curious. Also pellets are more expensive around here this year, couldn't find any under 5.99 a bag. Last year I got for 4.19 a bag. :mad:. Hardly used the wood stove last year but will be using it more this year for sure.

6. Bioburner

Bioburner
    Moderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Aug 4, 2012
    Loc:
    West central Mn
    I filled in September for 1.13 a gallon. Bottled water is 20 cents a gallon if you fill your own jugs
    Gasoline came down a nickel today. Paying 2.14 in the RGV
    The Keystone pipeline had issues with delivery and is fully operational

bags and the pony boy like this.
  7. bags

bags
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 12, 2014
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Hey Bio, Hope all is well.

I was thinking about doing a supplemental propane heater deal here but I'd probably want to kick myself afterwards. There would be some costs for the unit and cylinders totaling $400 - $500 just to get started. Still on the fence about one for a smaller area and it wouldn't be used daily or even weekly. Cost of propane here is just under $3 bucks a gallon. About the same as kerosene. Really the only perk is the ease of use minus loading and unloading cylinders to refill etc;

I would buy my own tanks. Probably a few 40 pounders or possibly two 100 pound cylinders that I would take and get filled. Pellets are still cheap enough here as I paid $199 per ton out the door for Somersets locally.

bogieb likes this.
  8. UpStateNY

UpStateNY
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

May 4, 2008
    Loc:
    Catskill Mountains
    First year for propane heat for me. I was able to get my LP gas provider to agree to a $1.65/gallon of LP. I am currently using their two 110 gallon propane tanks on the side of my house. BTW they charge a $10 safety charge on every delivery. Not sure what that is all about. They have been delivering about 50 gallons each month so the $10 each delivery is a concern. Now that the months are colder I will need a delivery every month. until March.

Depending on what happens next year with price of propane, I will be considering purchasing my own 300 or 500 gallon propane tank for about $2000. Not cheap but it will give me the option to lock in the best price.

bogieb and bags like this.
  9. jwfirebird

jwfirebird
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Sep 18, 2017
    Loc:
    western ny
    maybe its what they charge to be safe on your property

car gas has been 2.60, oil is about the same I think, was at a 1/4 they wanted around 550-600. but first tank this year, can go through one ea sept oct nov . using wood more than most years, which is free plus consumables for me

10. bogieb

bogieb
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 31, 2014
    Loc:
    South Central NH
    Just happened to be looking at my propane account online yesterday to see when my last delivery was (March of this year). They display today's buy price for my account and it was at $3.09/gal. Don't use enough to be able to lock in a price - but being in the boonies could never get a "good" deal anyway.

11. Orson_Yancey

Orson_Yancey
    Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 29, 2015
    Loc:
    Portsmouth, NH, Seacoast, NH
    Hi Bogieb,
    I had some zone pipes freezing in a cold part of the house near a crawl space. I improved the situation by lining the
    zone pipes with electric heating cable. Now I no longer need to run the zone, just to protect the zone pipes.

bogieb likes this.
  12. Orson_Yancey

Orson_Yancey
    Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 29, 2015
    Loc:
    Hi Bogieb,
    One of my plans is to own my own propane tanks, then I can have any propane company fill them. The savings is about
    $1.00/gal. You might be too far a way, but I was getting some good tank purchase quotes from
    Rye Energy Co., Portsmouth. As of last April, a 120 gal tank deliver full for about $700, purchase price.
    Some other factors to consider. The NH Law require tanks over 120 gal, above ground, to be located
    a considerable distance from any buildings (I think 200 feet) and the line must be buried underground. (Expensive
    to install.)
    But it it is legal to line up multiple 120 gal tanks along the side of a building, manifold them together.
    (I see this often, as many as four 120 gal tanks lined-up beside inches from a building.)
    It sounds like you might already have a large tank close to your house. I am just guessing, but these situations
    may have existed before the law was passed, and hence have been "grandfathered in". Any new tanks
    arrangements will have to comply with the current law.
    I too am not a fan of propane; hence, I plan to phase out all propane usage except for the backup generator.
    I inherited the propane arrangement when I purchased the house.

13. Orson_Yancey

Orson_Yancey
    Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 29, 2015
    Loc:

Hi Bogieb,
    I guess this is an old thread. But I will mention that if you purchase an ASME propane tank, it is certified forever. It is the older
    DOT tanks that have to be re-certfified regularly.

14. Pete Zahria

Pete Zahria
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 6, 2014
    Loc:
    New Hampster
    wow....
    :eek:

Dan

bogieb likes this.
  15. bogieb

bogieb
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 31, 2014
    Loc:
    South Central NH
    Last November I changed propane companies, got rid of the 500 gal tank and put in 2-120 gal tanks next to the house (the behemouth is out of the yard). Buying my own tanks didn't make sense as even at $1/gal savings, it would take 6 years or more to recoup the costs and I am unsure I will be here that long. I saved over $1/gallon just by changing propane suppliers (even at the $3.09 quoted the other day).

Orson_Yancey likes this.
  16. bdud

bdud
    Member 2.
    NULL

Sep 19, 2013
    Loc:
    Franklin, MA
    I paid $4.51 a gallon for a delivery 10/25/17. Oh I wish I could pay under $3 a gallon..

bogieb likes this.
  17. bogieb

bogieb
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 31, 2014
    Loc:
    South Central NH
    That is about what I'd be paying if I still used my old company.

18. Maladjusted

Maladjusted
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 2, 2017
    Loc:
    Richmond VA
    WHOA!! :eek: I bought a 1000 gal tank and had it buried when I built my house. Been here 9 years, so I have fully recouped the cost! I usually pay $1.59 - $1.79 per gallon having 600 or 700 gallons delivered every other year.

Mal

19. 3fordasho

3fordasho
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 20, 2007
    Loc:
    South Central Minnesota
    Crazy! my summer fill was $.99/gal. With the wood heat I average about 200 gallons/year. If I was paying $4.51 a gallon those tanks would be disconnected and sitting out by the road. One tank still leased, the other two I now own, price the same either way but owning does give me the right to shop around if current supplier becomes unreasonable.

bogieb likes this.
  20. redbill

redbill
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 15, 2015
    Loc:
    Massachusetts
    I was $3.26 in central MA, not my tank. I got it down to $2.50 a couple years ago when I was using more, but now with my P68 running 24/7, I don't think I qualify for the cheaper rate.

bogieb likes this.
  21. the pony boy

the pony boy
    Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 5, 2011
    Loc:
    putnam ny
    Thank God I don't have propane heat any more. I had propane forced hot air and never liked it. Last few years I was able to get reaonable rates with a pre buy plan but that was tough because I had to pay in advace to get it. Looks like my rate would have been in the upper 2 dollar range if I was still using. Just filled up with oil and paid 2.20 a gallon. And new house has radiant baseboard.

22. bdud

bdud
    Member 2.
    NULL

Sep 19, 2013
    Loc:
    Franklin, MA
    I use ~150 gallons a year, ~$600 + $100 tank rental, which I use to heat a large garage/ workshop.
    I think I will seriously work on fitting a heating coil in the garage ac unit and run that from a zone off the house pellet boiler.
    Propane for me is not getting cheaper, maybe as I don't use it for the house, possibly most expensive tier?

bogieb likes this.