Proper brush and way to clean flex pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cparts

Aug 7, 2017
Southwest Virginia
Hi,

I’m having trouble figuring what to do to clean this. Some threads are not clear about type of pipe.

Last year I burned about 1.5-2 tons through new 4” bio vent FLEX stainless 25’ in chimney liner.

I can’t really get a brush up through bottom because of the way it is set up.

What type of brush is used for 25’ flex?
Does it require a drill or is it more of a reaming type motion?
Any tips to avoid getting brush stuck?
Tips for coming from top?

Thanks

Soot eater on a drill from the bottom up. Just brush till you feel it hit the top. I’d get 9 rods if you have 25’.

I never saw the advantage of the rotary brush. Just requires another tool you need. A drill to make it work. Every time I brush my 20 to 25 ft rigid pipe the brush cleans it completely. And with the flex fiberglass piping it never gets stuck.

Try cleaning 4-5 stoves a day a
I never saw the advantage of the rotary brush. Just requires another tool you need. A drill to make it work. Every time I brush my 20 to 25 ft rigid pipe the brush cleans it completely. And with the flex fiberglass piping it never gets stuck.
Try cleaning 4-5 stoves a day and you’ll see the advantage. Also, the rotary system gets way more out of ribbed flex than you ever could with a manual brush and rod.

Try cleaning 4-5 stoves a day a

Try cleaning 4-5 stoves a day and you’ll see the advantage. Also, the rotary system gets way more out of ribbed flex than you ever could with a manual brush and rod.
Yeah I understand but I've never used ribbed flex. I've always used duravent smooth inside. Why would you ever have a ribbef vent except if you have to bend around corners?

Yeah I understand but I've never used ribbed flex. I've always used duravent smooth inside. Why would you ever have a ribbef vent except if you have to bend around corners?
Most lining jobs involve running around the damper. Plus, the Olympia forever flex is the cheapest way to line a chimney. If a customer wants a better pipe, we run duravent 4” hard pipe.