Proper brush and way to clean flex pipe

cparts Posted By cparts, Sep 5, 2019 at 11:00 PM

Dismiss Notice
System Upgrade. Monday 9/16 7am central time.Thanks for your patience.
  1. cparts

cparts
    Member 2.
    NULL

Aug 7, 2017
    Loc:
    Southwest Virginia
    Hi,

I’m having trouble figuring what to do to clean this. Some threads are not clear about type of pipe.

Last year I burned about 1.5-2 tons through new 4” bio vent FLEX stainless 25’ in chimney liner.

I can’t really get a brush up through bottom because of the way it is set up.

What type of brush is used for 25’ flex?
    Does it require a drill or is it more of a reaming type motion?
    Any tips to avoid getting brush stuck?
    Tips for coming from top?

Thanks

2. miteclipse

miteclipse
    Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 8, 2013
    Loc:
    Hughesville, MD
    Look at the Sooteater Rotary system for pellet stove. Should work with a flex setup.

3. Overfireinthehole

Overfireinthehole
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

May 5, 2017
    Loc:
    Miller MO
    Soot eater on a drill from the bottom up. Just brush till you feel it hit the top. I’d get 9 rods if you have 25’.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. jerrieric

jerrieric
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Jul 7, 2008
    Loc:
    Windham Me
    I never saw the advantage of the rotary brush. Just requires another tool you need. A drill to make it work. Every time I brush my 20 to 25 ft rigid pipe the brush cleans it completely. And with the flex fiberglass piping it never gets stuck.

5. Overfireinthehole

Overfireinthehole
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

May 5, 2017
    Loc:
    Miller MO
    Try cleaning 4-5 stoves a day a
    Try cleaning 4-5 stoves a day and you’ll see the advantage. Also, the rotary system gets way more out of ribbed flex than you ever could with a manual brush and rod.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. jerrieric

jerrieric
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Jul 7, 2008
    Loc:
    Windham Me
    Yeah I understand but I've never used ribbed flex. I've always used duravent smooth inside. Why would you ever have a ribbef vent except if you have to bend around corners?

7. Overfireinthehole

Overfireinthehole
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

May 5, 2017
    Loc:
    Miller MO
    Most lining jobs involve running around the damper. Plus, the Olympia forever flex is the cheapest way to line a chimney. If a customer wants a better pipe, we run duravent 4” hard pipe.

8. cparts

cparts
    Member 2.
    NULL

Aug 7, 2017
    Loc:
    Southwest Virginia