Proposed piping/controls of Marathon addon boiler looking for suggestions/advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mpilihp

Feeling the Heat
Apr 22, 2008
Coastal ME
Hello again, ok I made some diagrams of my current oil boiler piping and of two different versions of how ive been told/seen on the web how to pipe it in. The first is a reverse flow setup and the other looks like it puts it in series with the oil boiler.

This is how things are today and what I have to work with. THe circs here are not IFC models.
Woodboilerdesignoriginalsetup.jpg

This is the design marathon suggests, its loop circulation through the oil boiler is reversed.
Woodboilerdesignreverseflowconcept.jpg

This is the design by NewYork boiler company, looks to me like it puts it in series with the oil boiler so the flow is the same direction.
Woodboilerdesign2NYboilerseriesconc.jpg

IF the drawings are not showing up in full size you can reach them here directly.
http://s103.photobucket.com/albums/m132/mjenphil/Wood Boiler/

I dont have a legend but I tried to label parts in the diagrams. I do use a 3-way mixer to preheat the return water into the wood boiler some as that was suggested here. THe second proposed layout does not have a dump zone because it was just too busy and if I go that way Ill re-lay out the diagram to add.

Both proposals would require changing out the zone circs to have IFC to stop ghost flows into the heating zones.

So what do you think? which design is better? What is wrong in it/them?

Remember Im new to this and I like the KISS principal cause Im simple and Ive done stupid things before. Wood isnt a problem, my wife and I enjoy cutting/splitting wood for excercise and already cut about 6+ cord a year so it doesnt have to be efficent, I just want to keep the oil burner from kicking on and save some $$.

Thanks for your help

~ Phil

Well no comments guess anyone who looked these doesnt think either of the setups will be dangerous, I understand from reading alot on this forum this isnt the most efficiant way to do it but I dont have room to put storage and I dont care if its not the most efficent thing to heat the oil boilers water jacket with the output from the wood boiler as the oil boiler is going to run and keep itself hot all the time anyhow. My goal is to stop burning oil so Id rather try doing it this way to keep the burner from kicking on.

IM going to go with the marathon suggested way which reverses the flow into the oil boiler when no zone is calling for heat...

~ Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.