Pulled the trigger-signed the contract.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
I'll be leaving oil behind along with an electric water heater. I hope NG stays cheap. I'll be having a gas conversion burner and IWH installed sometime before next winter.

Matt

I wish I had access to gas via a pipe instead of a truck.

Have you considered a condensing water heater instead of the instantaneous?

Semipro said:

Tough to beat NG for hot water. Depending on his FTS ratio the on-demand HW may work out all right.

btuser said:
Semipro said:

Tough to beat NG for hot water. Depending on his FTS ratio the on-demand HW may work out all right.

Agreed. I was referring to a condensing natural gas water heater though.

I did not consider a condensing water heater. To be truthful I didn't know they existed. Since you are side tracking the flue gasses I bet you will need to power vent. The indirect uses the boiler to heat the tank of water. The tank is super insulated so there is very little standby losses.

Matt

EatenByLimestone said:
I did not consider a condensing water heater. To be truthful I didn't know they existed. Since you are side tracking the flue gasses I bet you will need to power vent. The indirect uses the boiler to heat the tank of water. The tank is super insulated so there is very little standby losses.

Matt

Condensing heater units, whether for water or central air, are nice because they wring every last bit of heat out of the exhaust gas and require only PVC venting.

if I understand your original post you are planning to run both instantaneous and indirect (boiler) water heaters. I was suggesting the condensing unit as an alternative to the instantaneous. Instantaneous water heaters have their own set of problems.

Oh, condensing as in a condensing flue gas thingy. For me the question is tank vs no tank. You can get an incredibly well insulated tank but you're still sitting on a bunch of unstable btus better left in the fuel. With oil we have to have a tank because we can't run for 30 seconds and then shut down. I'm not a big fan of the tankless either when you look at how much a good unit is going to cost you. I wouldn't mind looking into the heat pump for the Summer so I could completely shut down the boiler but with NG this probably wouldn't pay.

I know here the gas its self is cheep, but the delver charge is NUTS! Better to have more than one way to get it done.

smokinjay said:
I know here the gas its self is cheep, but the delver charge is NUTS! Better to have more than one way to get it done.
So true. Our gas CO used to charge a small % of the bill for the service and the majority of the bill was the gas itself which they pass on to you at cost./ (BY law) Now more than half the bill is service charges and a small % is the cost of the gas. So when gas gets cheap your bill is still high.

You can thank de-regulation for that. Adding a 5% debt service + 12% profit expectation for F@##$#@#g utillity is not the way to lower prices for consumers.

Status
Not open for further replies.