Pump; controlling speed or water temp rather than on/off

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

barnartist

Minister of Fire
I love my radiant floor! But it is noisy when the pump stops and the water cools. My thought is I need to keep water moving or control the water temperature rather than having a thermostat kick the pump on and off. I don't know how to do this. Info and pictures much appreciated!

If it cycles often you could lower the temperature of the water which would result in less expansion.

I love my radiant floor! But it is noisy when the pump stops and the water cools. My thought is I need to keep water moving or control the water temperature rather than having a thermostat kick the pump on and off. I don't know how to do this. Info and pictures much appreciated!

What is the temp of the water going thru your floor? It uses a mixing valve? Or no?

Yes it sounds like you are barking up the wrong tree here with the pump.

What kind of radiant? I assume wood floor system not slab?

What is noisy? The radiant dispersement plates making noise when cooling?

What temp are you running in the floor loops? You shouldn't have the floor temp running over 80 degrees, the water temp in the loops will be around 120-140 to accomplish that with a wood floor system.

Read this manual as a start, radiant tec has more info on their site as well. Disregard their hyping of their own products. http://www.radiantec.com/installation-manuals/design-construction-manual/